Home Broker cannot find underwriter because of recent claim - what to do?

MelF

As above, my broker 123 tell me that they cannot provide me with house insurance due to a past claim (accidental damage). I cannot understand this as thought this was the point of home insurance.

House is mortgaged and home insurance is part of t&cs of the mortgage. If I cannot get house insurance now, am I not only exposed to another potential accident, then will the bank have a big problem with an uninsured house?
At the end of my tether about this

try the mortgage provider. They all have agencies with various companies and will quote.

You see guys herein lies the joys of 123.ie, they are not an insurance broker. Just a tied agent of travelers. They only deal with them and cant place your business with another company. Any other broker should be able to sort you out. I wouldnt rely on the mortgage provider.

How much was the claim for?

Re: Broker cannot find underwriter due to recent claim, will mortgage be called in?

It was close to a five-figure sum (expressed my concerns to the assessor at the time about how this would affect future policy and got an 'ah sure that's what insurance is for' approach) Tried another broker as suggested but they are having no joy. Surely someone who's had a claim is less risky than someone who hasn't?
Either way, if nobody will quote me and I cannot get insurance how does this affect my mortgage? It's an investment mortgage so will the bank try to penalise or worse call in the mortgage if the house is uninsured?
So worried about this.

It was close to a five-figure sum (expressed my concerns to the assessor at the time about how this would affect future policy and got an 'ah sure that's what insurance is for' approach) Tried another broker as suggested but they are having no joy. Surely someone who's had a claim is less risky than someone who hasn't?
Either way, if nobody will quote me and I cannot get insurance how does this affect my mortgage? It's an investment mortgage so will the bank try to penalise or worse call in the mortgage if the house is uninsured?
So worried about this.

Contact the [broken link removed] and ask their advice.

Thanks Sue, just contacted the Ombudsman and they referred me to the Irish Insurance Federation, who say that the broker 'must' quote me, which doesn't really get me anywhere.
Cannot believe that I am now uninsurable because of a claim - what on earth is the point of home insurance otherwise?

Re: Broker cannot find underwriter due to recent claim, will mortgage be called in?

It was close to a five-figure sum (expressed my concerns to the assessor at the time about how this would affect future policy and got an 'ah sure that's what insurance is for' approach)
Was the assessor being paid on a % basis? Have you got back to him/her for a little chat?

I have no idea but I suspect as much as he seemed very casual about the whole thing. The thing that maddens me the most is that the damage was caused by an accident at a neighbours property, and I asked my insurance company if I should claim on the neighbours insurance and again I got a 'dont worry, we'll sort it out attitude'. Yet now nobody wants to sort out anything and I am left well and truly in the sh***

Sorry to hear of your problem, I suggest that you get back on to 123 and insist that they provide you with terms, you insurer who you had the claim with is obilged to provide you with renewal terms, this could be a case of 123 dealing with a new new insurer, Travelers Insurance Company and Travelers not wishing to take you on. Insist that 123 provide you with terms from your out going insurer, it is incomprehensible that an Insurance Broker, 123, would act like this.

Sorry to hear of your problem, I suggest that you get back on to 123 and insist that they provide you with terms, you insurer who you had the claim with is obilged to provide you with renewal terms, this could be a case of 123 dealing with a new new insurer, Travelers Insurance Company and Travelers not wishing to take you on. Insist that 123 provide you with terms from your out going insurer, it is incomprehensible that an Insurance Broker, 123, would act like this.

Gunship my heart is broken trying to get 123 to do this but they have flat out refused to help. Have four other policies with them but will be moving them all to another broker as soon as they are up for renewal as they have been no help whatsoever and have left me completely high and dry in this regard.

I have no idea but I suspect as much as he seemed very casual about the whole thing. The thing that maddens me the most is that the damage was caused by an accident at a neighbours property, and I asked my insurance company if I should claim on the neighbours insurance and again I got a 'dont worry, we'll sort it out attitude'. Yet now nobody wants to sort out anything and I am left well and truly in the sh***

Very surprised that if you employed an assessor that you don't know how much he was paid as you would be paying him.
Are you confusing an assessor (that you pay for ) or an adjuster who your insurer appoints?

I take it that your current policy is with Zurich?

If so why do you not appoint another broker to look after your policies and get them to transfer this policy to their agency with Zurich?

Very surprised that if you employed an assessor that you don't know how much he was paid as you would be paying him.
Are you confusing an assessor (that you pay for ) or an adjuster who your insurer appoints?

I take it that your current policy is with Zurich?

If so why do you not appoint another broker to look after your policies and get them to transfer this policy to their agency with Zurich?

Yes, think I meant an adjuster and it was the insurance company who appointed him as they advised us that they would look after everything. Have tried Zurich directly but they have redirected me to 123. Have been back and forth between both companies and yet no one will offer a renewal. Have also been in touch with other brokers who are also coming up blank.

I'm surprised that it has been so hard to get a quote from another insurance company. I know Allianz for example, will quote once you don't have a claim above €10k within the last 3 years. Have you tried a few brokers?

www.powerinsurances.ie

Yes, think I meant an adjuster and it was the insurance company who appointed him as they advised us that they would look after everything. Have tried Zurich directly but they have redirected me to 123. Have been back and forth between both companies and yet no one will offer a renewal. Have also been in touch with other brokers who are also coming up blank.

Have Zurich refused to offer renewal terms?
Please note that 123.ie now do all their household insurance account (as far as I am aware) with Travelers who are underwriting each case on its individual merits(or not in your case) and if you have a policy number with your Zurich policy a broker should be able to arrange a transfer.
Their are a number of brokers who contribute to the forum and I am sure one of them should be able to help you.

Back