Broken Key In Lock - How To Remove

brilliant81

I have a yale lock at home and the key cracked in half so the main bit is still stuck in the door. It is slightly sticking out but when I tried to extract it out (with a tweezers as it was all I had to hand) it just springs in again. Can anyone suggest how to get this key bit out without having to replace full lock. Please help, all suggestions welcome

From ehow.com

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]1. [/size][/font] [font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1] Find a thin-bladed piece of serrated metal. A broken coping saw blade is perfect, if you happen to have one. [/size][/font] [font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/font] [font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]2. [/size][/font] [font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1] Determine which way the key is oriented. You'll want to work from the side with the teeth, not the smooth side. [/size][/font] [font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/font] [font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]3. [/size][/font] [font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1] Slide the serrated blade into the keyhole so that the key and blade are tooth-to-tooth. [/size][/font] [font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/font] [font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]4. [/size][/font] [font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1] Push the blade in far enough for its teeth to grab the key's teeth. [/size][/font] [font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/font] [font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]5. [/size][/font] [font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1] Draw the blade out slowly and smoothly.[/size][/font]

As in superglue the broken piece of the key to some other metal object, this hoping to create a handle? It might work but be very careful not to glue the broken piece of the key to the actual lock, otherwise you will be ripping out the lock!

Get a pliars if there is enough of they key sticking out of the lock to grab onto .... it should have more grip than a tweesers and not fly back into the lock

Have you tried a magnet ? If you only have the one key then perhaps you should consider changing the barrell. Its not that dear for the barrell and its easy to fit.

Magnet won't work- most keys and lock parts are made from brass alloys for corrosion resistance. A new barrel will cost about €20, takes 20 minutes to fit and at least your starting off with new keys as well.

....is the lock two sided? ie can a key be put in from both sides? if so, insert the spare key into the oposite side..make sure that the lock is not turned & try to push the key out from the oposite side using the spare.

ninsaga

very easy to pick up a replacement cylinder , start at €8 and ye'll get three replacement keys, cost ya that to get the broken key recut nearly

To get the replacement cylinder, would I have to buy it first then call a locksmith to fit it or would they have these spare when they call

Apologies for the thread-jack but I have a related query. I have an internal door (downstairs loo) which is locked since Saturday last, and the key that I used to lock it won't open it. The internal locks in the house are your standard "Basta" model and as we bought the house second-hand I don't have a selection of keys to try in the door.

Any ideas would be gratefully welcomed! :)

brilliant81, replacing these cylinders is a DIY job really, so no need for the expensive call out.
Leo

Vontrapp,
You have two options, replace the existing lock case with a similar type (standard 2 lever Basta will cost less than €10) or leave the existing lock as it is and fit a neat brass/ or chrome sliding bolt on the inside of the door. This will cost less than €5 and can be fitted in minutes AND you'll never need to worry about a key again.

Thanks Carpenter - only problem is the door is locked shut so I can't get it open to attempt either option! If I remove the handle from the outside is it possible to fiddle with the lock and open it?

Ok, you've a bit of a problem there! If you remove the handle it'll only expose the spindle and the "keyhole" opening in the door. However doing this may allow you to manipulate the key sufficiently to withdraw the lock bolt. If this fails you will have to cut the bolt, which if the door opens towards you is not too difficult. In this instance drill a series of holes with a HSS drill bit to weaken the bolt and this should allow you break the bolt and open the door. If the door opens away from you this is more difficult as the bolt will be hidden by the wooden frame rebate.

Right. Well the door opens towards me so the drilling option is do-able.

I think before I start that I might drop into some of the neighbours and see if they have any spare house keys. As far as I know there are a relatively small number of "Basta" internal keys, so I might get lucky seeing as the houses (we live in an estate) were all built at the same time.

If that fails then I'll try the brute force method! Thanks Carpenter.

Back