Broken inner pane on Velux

boots

Last weekend I was in the attic room of my M.I.L.'s house when we noticed that both of the velux windows had cracked inner panes.
The velux are fitted in the roof.
What could have caused this - frost?
No body has been in the room since last autumn.

Thanks
boots

This happened us too, but ours is on top of the landing. Happened twice to same window in space of 2 years.

Same window guy replaced it, but put in safety glass this time to see if that helps.

His explanation was that it was drop in temperature between the 2 panes, which he can't understand either.

I read about this problem somewhere on the net, do a bit of googling, if I remember rightly it is a common problem with a certain size or something of velux. There was even a code to check on the windows to see if you had one of them because I remember checking mine at the time as I have 8 of them.

Actually here it is http://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=341498&view=print

Last edited:
Sorry I only saw your post now - this happened to me - ring velux customer care - they may be able to replace for free - my house was built in 2001 and 6 velux were installed.One inside pane broke last year and when googling I noticed it was a common fault - I rang velux within two weeks they came out and replaced all six - even though only one was broken - no cost to me at all! I was pleasantly surprised needless to say...

VELUX Broken Inner Pane

I work for the VELUX Company. We take the quality of our products seriously and issued a product warning June 2011 to inform our customers we have registered a level of spontaneous glass breakage in a specific type of small pane. The pane codes affected are only those with the reference 00UE, 59 or 34, in combination with the number 8 or the letter Y. The size of the pane is 39cm/15.5 inches or less. These panes were produced and sold between 1997 and 2003.

Under specific conditions, generally experienced in the winter, there is a minor risk that the inner glass may break spontaneously, with the possibility of glass fragments falling. If your pane is affected VELUX will replace the pane ex-gratia (free) and provide options for installation.
We recommend that you act on this warning and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please visit our website for further information or alternatively you can contact VELUX Help Line: 0800 980 7030 (UK) or 1800 509 628 (Ireland).

This has just happened to me and I was delighted to find the details posted by Jacqueline D especially as there was a free phone number to call. On calling however I was told that they were no longer dealing with Irish claims and I would have to call the Velux UK number directly ( the guy who was working for a company subcontracted to log issues with these windows was helpful and tried to transfer me but to no avail). So nearly 23 minutes later on a call to a UK number I am not best pleased with the service given that the problem is due to a product defect.
I am now awaiting a call to have someone replace the shattered window.

Back