Broadsheet.ie: The man who wants us to pay the property tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brendan,

Did you really say these comments?
I would imagine that the vast majority of people support the household charge and other taxes, even if they don’t like paying them. But the protests by the vocal minority who oppose them get a lot of attention. How would those of us who support the charge campaign in its favour? Here are some ideas -
Maybe organise a day in mid March “Pay your Household Charge today”
Issue stickers “I have paid my household charge”
Help relatives and neighbours who don’t have internet access to pay online.
Put up posters.

If you said any of the last 4 lines in the paragraph above then I'm afraid you are firmly in the minority of people I know who think or act that way. It sounds real daft to say any of those 4 lines.

All of my friends and all of my family (large) have paid the household charge.

Marion

I've paid it, all bar 1 of my direct family have paid it (she plans to pay it) and the majority of my friends have paid it.

Maybe organise a day in mid March “Pay your Household Charge today”
Issue stickers “I have paid my household charge”
Help relatives and neighbours who don’t have internet access to pay online.
Put up posters.

If you said any of the last 4 lines in the paragraph above then I'm afraid you are firmly in the minority of people I know who think or act that way. It sounds real daft to say any of those 4 lines.

Discussed at lenght in the other thread.

I agree with Sunny.

It's a very disappointing cheap shot.

Everybody makes mistakes.

Brendan Burgess puts himself on the line and is no doubt well able for cheap shots. He got it wrong on bank shares, so what has that to do with the household charge? All my life I've been told that bank shares are blue chip and so they were and will be again except for this current crazy time. If it's relevant I've never owned a bank share in my life. But you don't have to be an expert to know that what goes up comes down.

My question is why what is broadsheet, who ownes it, is it a magazine, what is it?

Truthseeker, you obviously look at twitter, how did you find that person there. You go into twitter and type in the name NatKingColeslaw? Is that it?

Truthseeker, you obviously look at twitter, how did you find that person there. You go into twitter and type in the name NatKingColeslaw? Is that it?

Bronte, I havent a clue what Twitter is or how you use it, I just googled the name and the very first link was to Twitter and thats how I found it. Theres a facebook entry with the same name too.

I dislike people who try to belittle people on facts that have not been expanded upon - Broadsheet.ie.

I often read that site but I will no longer do so.

I absolutely abhor bullying.

That is what , in my opinion, I believe broadsheet has done in the publication of this article.

Marion

that's a bit dramatic.

The broadsheet link looked at a position taken by someone in the public eye (Brendan Burgess) and pointed out that he has been very wrong in the past.

Brendan claims the majority want to pay the household charge. That is not supported by the facts. With just 2 days to go, the majority have not registered.

Agree with Nige,

Brendan has hooked up to the wrong bandwagon on this one, the majority are not in favour of this charge.

The broadsheet link looked at a position taken by someone in the public eye (Brendan Burgess) and pointed out that he has been very wrong in the past.

That's hardly news though, is it? It's like saying the sky is blue. Anyone who has ever been forthcoming enough to publicly express their opinions is bound to have stuff on record proving them completely wrong, if you root around enough.

that's a bit dramatic.

Brendan claims the majority want to pay the household charge. That is not supported by the facts. With just 2 days to go, the majority have not registered.

I'm not sure you can read that much in to the fact that the majority still have not registered. You basically have until the end of September to pay about €120 including fines/interest versus €100 before the 31st - minimal fine really. As for the Broadsheet.ie article well it has zero relevance to the household charge - how Brendan getting it wrong on bank stocks undermines his support for paying taxes introduced by our government, ie the law of the land, is beyond me.

Watching midweek last night mister burgess appeared to have vested interests. Thats all I will say on the matter.

I'm surprised too that people on here who are clearly internet savy, don't know what twitter is or had never heard of broadsheet.ie.

I've worked in IT for about 14 years...I've never used Twitter and never (until yest) heard of broadsheet.ie :eek:

Watching midweek last night mister burgess appeared to have vested interests. Thats all I will say on the matter.

I have not watched that programme. But you mean he has vested interests because he owned bank shares in AIB? No doubt, he's lost an awful lot of money on them. But is that what you mean. Don't be putting up hints, say it out plain and simple.

I'm still none the wiser as to what broadsheet is Nige. I know twitter is a web thingy where people talk to each other and regret putting up pictures and employers in the future will know of all your misdeeds and that it's to be avoided (or is that facebook).

In relation to broadsheet it would be nice to know what angle they are coming at Burgess from. On my time on here I've noticed certain people have vendettas and I've yet to figure out why.

The broadsheet piece was a bit petty and juvenile, but it was also rather funny in a sarcastic way. People like Brendan who offer their opinions in public should expect a little bit of lampooning every now and then, especially on a half satirical site like Broadsheet. You might not agree that it's right or ethical, but it comes with the territory. Nobody who engages in public discourse is immune from the odd public slagging. It's just life.

I notice Brendan hasn't really complained too much about it himself, which could be because he accepts that this sort of thing is par for the course. Or maybe he just doesn't want to fan the flames. My personal opinion is that people should lighten up a little. It was hardly a character assassination or offensive in any way, it was just a bit of ribbing. I don't think it does very much damage to Brendan's reputation. In my experience, he remains well regarded in media/financial commentary circles.

Brendan has hooked up to the wrong bandwagon on this one, the majority are not in favour of this charge.

Hi Fiskar

I don't do populism. I don't jump on bandwagons.

If I think something is right, I pursue it.

I am often in an outspoken minority on issues which upsets a lot of people

Fingleton was not fit to run the Irish Nationwide (2004)
You can be too young to set up a pension
Young healthy people are getting very bad value from the VHI
Deposit accounts can be risky due to inflation and potential bank default
Retailers should be allowed to charge credit card customers extra
Property can fall as well as rise (2002 !)
The deposit guarantee should not be increased from €20,000 (Sept 2008)

With the risk that yet again I get my post removed.

I think this thread has gone on long enough, can't see it being useful to keep it open any longer.

I vote that it be closed by the Moderator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back