Broadsheet.ie: The man who wants us to pay the property tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is broadsheet.ie?

Why are they writing about a particular issue, buying bank shares and comparing it to the household charge. What is the relevance.

What is broadsheet.ie?

Why are they writing about a particular issue, buying bank shares and comparing it to the household charge. What is the relevance.

The relevance is that one should be wary of taking financial advice from someone who was a cheerleader for buyng bank shares that are now practically worthless. Although in fairness Brendan was not alone in giving that advice.

The relevance is that one should be wary of taking financial advice from someone who was a cheerleader for buyng bank shares that are now practically worthless. Although in fairness Brendan was not alone in giving that advice.

Although in fairness the guy in the pub was giving same advice, who do I believe is correct!!!

Yes but most of the guys I meet in pubs these days are advising me not to pay the property tax.

I don't know who broadsheet.ie is and I don't know who wrote the piece.

but it's typical of the misquoting and selective quoting.

Read the full interview here - the key point of which was "The government should not increase the deposit guarantee from €20,000"

Here is the actual wording of the clip.

Bryan Dobson: “Just finally …Irish bank shares are down at where they were in the mid 80s. Is that a buying opportunity?”

Brendan Burgess: I think we are going to look back in a few years time at the state of the Irish banks and the Irish stockmarket generally and say how did we not fill our boots with those shares.

I might regret saying that later

Dobson: Brendan Burgess on your head be it.
Of course, it was a mistake for me to answer the question. I should have said "I came in here to explain the bank guarantee and to explain why it should not be increased. To discuss investing in shares would require an entire programme"

|ISEQ overall|ISEQ General
16 September 2008| 4050|3693
12March 2012|3266|4455
Change|-20%|+20%
If you had bought the ISEQ ETF which had a heavy concentration of financial shares, you would be down 20% now.(March 2012) - I did say "in a few years' time"

If you had invested 20% of your money in bank shares and the balance in the other shares, you would be breaking even about now. (March 2012)

Incidentally, the FTSE is up 15% and the Dow Jones by around 22% (as of 12 March 2008)

I don't know who broadsheet.ie is and I don't know who wrote the piece.

but it's typical of the misquoting and selective quoting.

Read the full interview here - the key point of which was "The government should not increase the deposit guarantee from €20,000"

Here is the actual wording of the clip.

Of course, it was a mistake for me to answer the question. I should have said "I came in here to explain the bank guarantee and to explain why it should not be increased. To discuss investing in shares would require an entire programme"

|ISEQ overall|ISEQ General
16 September 2008| 4050|3693
12March 2012|3266|4455
Change|-20%|+20%
If you had bought the ISEQ ETF which had a heavy concentration of financial shares, you would be down 20% now.(March 2012) - I did say "in a few years' time"

If you had invested 20% of your money in bank shares and the balance in the other shares, you would be breaking even about now. (March 2012)

Incidentally, the FTSE is up 15% and the Dow Jones by around 22% (as of 12 March 2008)

What is the relevance of this to the household charge?
Cannot see Broadsheet.ie at the moment but I hope it is not saying that you advocate this charge?

Posted by a 'Nat King Coleslaw', so whoever posted it doesn't even have the conviction of their beliefs to post using their real name.

Posted by a 'Nat King Coleslaw', so whoever posted it doesn't even have the conviction of their beliefs to post using their real name.

Well he does give some small amount of info on his twitter account:
Nat King Coleslaw
@natkingcoleslaw
Kerryman/Hoor. Eleven toes. Fine jaw. Lowerer of tone on broadsheet. Knows difference between silage/slurry(hint:eek:ne tastes like aged sauerkraut)

Leo is your full name, then, is it?

I agree with Sunny.

It's a very disappointing cheap shot.

Everybody makes mistakes.

In this instance I think Brendan was caught between a rock and a hard place and responded at the time to a tough question that was not anticipated. But having said that, he was Intelligent enough to state that he might regret in the future having stated the fact.

I admire somebody who can think on their feet - Brendan

I dislike people who try to belittle people on facts that have not been expanded upon - Broadsheet.ie.

I often read that site but I will no longer do so.

I absolutely abhor bullying.

That is what , in my opinion, I believe broadsheet has done in the publication of this article.

Marion

The community I mentioned in that thread referred to the 50 house estate where I live and contribute to its maintenance.

The broader community would refer to the town where I live and it's environs.

Marion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back