broadband what do i need

J

jem

Hi all eircom are comming on 11th to install broadband for me.
what do i need in terms of security i have nav 2004 on the computer in question. while it is attached to a network i don't intend for the other computers to use the broadband.

do i need some hardware to protect my computer??

is worth reading. At a minimum you should install/configure a firewall, an anti-virus scanner and at least one adware/spyware scanner and keep these refularly updated.

I could not disagree more, .<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->IIRC, eircom ships [broken link removed] [broken link removed] gateways. The 3341 is a single port for home (Basic) and the 3346 is 4 ports for SOHO (Plus). I think I have the current nomenclature correct...<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Either way, both yokes have configurable software firewalls that block IP packets on well known ports (HTTP:80, telnet:23, POP3:110, etc.)<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->The only recommendations I would make are <!--EZCODE LIST START--><ul><li>set the WAN Timeout value to ca. 300 (seconds) rather than 0 ('always on')</li><li>in Advanced TCP/IP Settings disabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP</li></ul><!--EZCODE LIST END-->

I could not disagree more

I'm sure that most (reasonable) people would have inferred from my post that I recommended separate installation of these features where they are not already built-into the gateway/router/switch/modem/hub. However if you are saying that users (broadband in particular but even dial-up) should not install, configure and update such utilities at all then I have to say that it seems like bogey advice to me. :\

microsoft

Would agree with Clubman, I think also microsoft recommend at a minimum you have a firewall (zonealarm is a good free one) and anti virus sw installed on your machine, as well as getting regular AV and OS updates.

If you're getting a wireless hub (think eircom have an offer at the moment?) there are other security settings you need to think about.

Re: microsoft

If you're getting a wireless hub (think eircom have an offer at the moment?) there are other security settings you need to think about.

Yes - some of the issues are covered .

wrote -AFAIK, reasonable people RTFP.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->FWTW, AV software does not protect networks and neither does spyware. Exactly what do your recommendations have to do with [broken link removed] DSL?

AV software does not protect networks

Server based AV solutions do indeed protect networks - from virus infections.

Exactly what do your recommendations have to do with DSL?

They address the slightly vague concerns about "protection" raised in the original post.

wrote -<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->Really? Please offer an example of an infected hub, router, DSLAM, BAS, FDDI link, fibre optic concentrator, etc. that has been infected. Or rather protected by WinDoze-based AV software.<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->We'll wait...

Back