Broadband in Citywest, the Belfry

Wiggles

Hi,

I'm looking at my broadband options at the minute. No NTL in the estate :( so I am thinking of getting BT. Has anyone got BT installed. I only ask because the connection fee for the phone is 122€ with a six week wait, only then can they test to see if it is possible to use the line for broadband. Bit of a catch 22 situation as I don't want the phone line if I can't get broadband.

Well if you see an Eircom van driving around you could always ask them what exchange you're on. I know that the Citywest exchange is enabled but, given that, you might still have issues with distance from the exchange. Best bet is to ask an engineer. Or if you have a friendly neighbour with the line connected, ask if you can plug their phone number into the online line check facility on any of the DSL provider websites. You'd be well advised to hold out for NTL though. Especially if you hope to be getting a TV service off them too.

Decani said:
You'd be well advised to hold out for NTL though. Especially if you hope to be getting a TV service off them too.

Are NTL coming into the Belfry? I rang them and the girl I was talking to didn't indicate that this was the case!

I would imagine so. I don't know how internal communication between sales and engineering in NTL/UPC works (if at all) but it's a common enough thing for people to ring up about broadband availability and be told that there are no plans or that service is imminent. I would think it very strange if NTL/UPC were not installing a service in the Belfry. Especially since the estates around it have NTL. You could probably ring NTL a few times and talk to different people and be given different information. Take names and times and if indeed you get inconsistent info and then ask for a manager to get an honest answer. Another avenue for investigation might be the site foreman. He should know for certain if they are coming in - but maybe not when.

Story wiggles, bit late to reply but hope you see this...

I'm living in Saggart village and have only got broadband last week. I had no luck with NTL, Smart Telecom or Magnet so chances are that Cable BB is out for you too(check them all though). I swallowed my pride and rang Eircom and got the usual monoploist sh8t that i neednt go into here (basically get a line to see if we can connect you even if the Rathcoole exchange is not enabled but you'll love our overpriced, non-bundled phone anyway, won't you...? :mad:). I also tried Clearwire and Digiweb and no joy (i think digiweb (http://www.digiweb.ie/) claimed to have wireless customers in Saggart Abbey so check them out. I think they have a transmiiter on Three Rock or something but not sure, check them out as well. They wouldnt touch us in Millrace). Obviously, you will be much more eligible if you are in a high building like an apartment.

Anyway, i am now with Irish Broadband. () I got the 1MB breeze package. You have to get an wireless antenna installed (free) and they run a ethernet cable into the house. (No router supplied) Installation is conditional on them getting a decent LOS (line of sight) to one of their transmitters. They definitely have one on Saggart but you may be closer to another one like Tallaght.

The 1mb package costs 35 euro a month (no download cap!) I seem to be getting between 500k-900 K download speeds at the moment which is OK.

A few things:

Check out the boards at http://www.boards.ie for more info on IBB and broadband providers in general.

Be warned that IBB seem to have as many satisfied as unsatisfied customers (ESP for the ripwave product). I was desperate but they seem to be grand so far.

Let me know if you need any more info

Thanks for the reply Paddy7.

I still have not decided what to do about BB yet. I would like to steer clear of irishbroadband if possible, so i might hang on for a bit longer and see if any of the other providers make it out to my estate.

One question, do irishbroadband need access to your roof to install their equipment??

Hi Wiggles

Yes they need to go up and attach it. I havent had the service long enough to really assess it so you are right. I would prefer cable BB but couldnt really wait :0)

Hi Wiggles...

Cable broadband is available through Broadworks - the tv company for the belfry......think they charge bout 25 quid a month with no limits

Back