Broadband for beginners

C

Chapman

I see posters advertising 3 months free broadband service with IOL and NTL (do eircom offer similar?). Can anyone say what the best deal for home broadband/phone service is right now?

Are these the main three? Does UTV offer broadband down here?

I see posters advertising 3 months free broadband service with IOL and NTL (do eircom offer similar?).

Yes - eircom are also running a broadband offer.
  • [broken link removed]
  • esat/IOL
  • UTV
  • [broken link removed]

Can anyone say what the best deal for home broadband/phone service is right now?

Difficult to say. You need to carefully check the terms & conditions of each offer and research the quality of service and support to make up your own mind.

Does UTV offer broadband down here?

Yes - see above.

These sites are also worth checking out if you are considering broadband:

If you're in Dublin, Waterford or Galway first option would be NTL. NTL and ESB have recently announced an agreement which provide NTL's cable modem service in Waterford and Galway. There is another cable modem provider in Waterford around Dungarvan I think. They're offering 8Mbps which is probably the fastest going in Ireland.

I'm fortunate enough to be in a recently NTL-enabled broadband area and it's great. No grief, no problems. 1.5Mbps free for three months and by that time I've been told they'll have upgraded their current packages (300kbps, 750kbps and 1.5Mbps). Far cheaper than their DSL counterparts. ClubMan's ref to the boards.ie is definitely worth a daily visit. You'll get an idea for who's good and who's bad.

Let us know where you are and some AAMbots might pipe up about what they're using.

NTL is a sick company. Worst customer service I've ever experienced. I would never go with NTL if there is an alternative (unfortunately I am stuck with them for cable TV due to the "regional monopoly" system in place in Ireland for cable operators).

I have eircom broadband service. No complaints about it at all.

Being in south Mayo I can't get Broadband at all- so my options are limited. Eircom bills seem to go up and down a bit . Have they had trouble recently with dial-up connections/takeovers?

If nothing else is an option then at least should be, although it is not cheap and there are some quirks (latencies etc.). If dial-up is the only option then you might be as well checking out [broken link removed] which might be a better way to control your internet call spend.

Back