Broadband download speed

TarfHead

I was a customer of BT for broadband (residential fixed line) , but am now a customer of VODAFONE. Not by choice - BT sold 'me' to VODAFONE.

Under my BT package, I was promised up to 1Mb and usually got around 300 kps for downloads.

Under the VODAFONE package, I am being promised up to 3Mb.

All other things being equal, is it fair to assume that I should be able to get a download rate of around 900 kps for downloads, i.e. a multiple of 3 over what BT provided ?

By downloads, I mean content such as podcasts, downloaded using right-click 'Save File As' & Firefox browser.

According to BT, I was getting up to 1Mb.

My assumption is that 300kps is one-third of what is possible, i.e. 1Mb = 1000kps.

Or is my assumption incorrect :confused: ?

According to BT, I was getting up to 1Mb.

My assumption is that 300kps is one-third of what is possible, i.e. 1Mb = 1000kps.

Or is my assumption incorrect :confused: ?

No , it's divide by 8. There are 8 bits in a byte. They sell it in bits , but your computer shows the speed in bytes.

So 1 megabit per second is 1024 kilobits per second or 128 kilobytes per second.

Try running this test (http://speedtest.net/) and post what results if gives.

We got sold to VF also. Broadband speed has decreased dramatically in the evening time. Any ideas why that might be ?

According to speedtest, 2.61 Mb/s

Yet downloads seem no faster than when with BT (Speedtest identified me being with VODAFONE).

So, BT were giving more than advised ?

Or VODAFONE's contention rate is 3 times higher ?

Or ..

According to speedtest, 2.61 Mb/s

Yet downloads seem no faster than when with BT (Speedtest identified me being with VODAFONE).

So, BT were giving more than advised ?

Or VODAFONE's contention rate is 3 times higher ?

Or ..

Based on the download figures it would appear so.

Back