Best Buy Broadband best buys

Logo

Broadband best buys 12 Nov 2018

Vodafone €25/month for 6 months & €50/month, calls included €450/year (*18 mth contract)
Eir €35/month, off-peak calls €420/year (12 month contract)
Pure €30/month, calls included €360/year (12 month contract)
Sky €33/month, calls included €396/year (12 month contract)
Digiweb, talk offpeak, €444/12 months
Eir
€45, international calls €540/year (12 month contract)

They don't make comparisons easy but for a one year contract Pure telecom appear cheapest at €360, followed by Sky at €396, and Eir at €420. Anyone else shopping?

Last edited:
If you stream or download a lot, make sure you check out the data Fair Usage Policies of each company/plan. In many cases unlimited does not mean unlimited!!

Strange one, despite claiming 'At Pure Telecom we make things simple for our customers' I don't see the prices for most of their offerings on their site. It does quote €44pm for broadband only service with no land line, Bonkers list the €30pm rate, but the price rises to €50pm after the 12 months. Eir rises to €60pm after the initial 12 months!

I've found the comreg site good for comparison. It lists the average cost per month for the contract duration, so cuts through those 6 month discount rates that somehow are still allowed as the headline rates in advertising.

Fair enough - didn't realise it wasn't being maintained up to date.

My parents switched to Pure, from Eir. It's phone only.
They live rural, and there are frequently issues with line faults (last house on the line, and over a mile from the next house).
What they've found is the repair time when something goes wrong is much quicker now, although the repair is carried out by Eir. They must have an SLA to Pure for repairs.

We have Pure since Jan 2018 but since summer had trouble. Customer service has been great but turns out today that there is a deterioration with our phone line inside the house. Up the house its good.
1) How much it would cost to bore a hole through wall and get new connection?
2) Which providers use the tv line for broadband?

Thanks

Yes, but previously with Virgin Media and it was through the TV line on the opposite side of the room. Just trying to compare the cost of repairing a phone line only used for broadband and the higher cost of Virgin ( any other companies use the TV line?) through the other line.

Who do I call for the repair? Electrician?

Ndiddy - are you sure it's the line itself ? Have you checked any of the connection points - might be a DSL splitter / wall connection problem?

Does your landline phone work ok? Any issues with making / receiving phone calls? Have you tried disconnecting all phones and using the line directly for broadband only to verify if connection is ok?

I had similar issue a few years back and after replacing the DSL splitter, things were back to normal.

This looks like the most helpful comparison guide and was last updated 13th Nov 2018.
(From http://www.*****************.com/cheapest-phone-and-broadband-package.html)
upload_2018-11-15_22-33-0.png
Pure Telecom appear the most competitive but are they reliable?
Anyone else shopping?

Jazz01, told it was the line by the tech guy PURE sent out to check my problem, although I think the van was Eir. He checked the line from the outside, checked the connection point and modem and said the issue was the line from the outside connecting to the inside. That the line from the outside connection into the house seemed to be the problem and he could put in the line if we had a hole through our walls to put it through.

Also Pure support had us disconnect the modem several times to check.

annoyed that I am locked in paying 50 euro a month for a service that doens;t work ....so trying to see how much to get this sorted. I figure this would be the problem with any provider.

Irrespective of your supplier, the technicians don't work for eir or Pure or any broadband/telecomms provider. Ignore the branding on the vans, that's just advertising, the vans are just as likely to be plain white. All the technicians work for the same company K&H or K&N or some such name and are contracted to maintain the physical infrastructure. This nonsense of "disconnect and reconnect the modem/router" is what I describe as DELL technical service at its worst - remember "switch your computer off and on again and it'll be grand. Bye now, glad to help."

BT & Eir Sports comes free with Eir broadband subscription, which is €299 a year is you subscribe on a standalone basis.

Irrespective of your supplier, the technicians don't work for eir or Pure or any broadband/telecomms provider. Ignore the branding on the vans, that's just advertising, the vans are just as likely to be plain white. All the technicians work for the same company K&H or K&N or some such name and are contracted to maintain the physical infrastructure. This nonsense of "disconnect and reconnect the modem/router" is what I describe as DELL technical service at its worst - remember "switch your computer off and on again and it'll be grand. Bye now, glad to help."

Not true, there are still many line technicians directly employed by Eir.
These are usually, but not solely, sent to investigate/solve problems that the contracted (usually K&N Networks) cannot repair.

Strange then that eir "customer support" (many times) and Pure sales (when trying to sell to me) gave me the same story, claiming they had no direct contact with or control over the technicians, all of whom, they claimed, worked for a different organisation. It would be no surprise if eir "customer support" lied to me, they do it all the time, but I can't understand why Pure sales would.

The technicians work either directly with eir wholesale (Open Eir), or with a company contracted to Open Eir. Neither Eir Retail or Pure, Vodafone etc can contact the technicians directly, they have to go through a service desk (in City West, I think)

Signed up to Pure Telecom on 7th Dec 2018. Rang them today and was told that the modem won't be delivered until 7th Jan 2019 (delay due to holidays). I am now being billed by Pure Telecom and eir during this month. Has anyone else experienced this problem? TIA

Back