Broadband and PS2 connection

• Thread starter delaneyd159
  • Start date
D

delaneyd159

I bought the online adapter for my PS2 this weekend.

I have some problems and my lack of technological knowledge is really letting me down.

I have a good few questions on setting it up:

1. There is no connection point in my UTV broadband modem to accept the cable from the PS2
2. The USB power supply on the modem will not work if I put it into the PS2.
3. The cable coming out of the PS2 is bigger than a normal telephone cable - and it has a bigger connection point.

It seems I need some sort of router or something like that - not that I know what I'm talking about...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - especially from people who have gotten around this themselves.

Thanks.

Don't know the PS2 adaptor first-hand, but you almost certainly need a router. You connect your router to the phone line, and then connect both your PS2 and your PC to the router.

UTV supply a USB ADSL modem. This won't work directly with the PS/2, as the PS/2 requires an Ethernet connection (what you've described as looking like a larger telephone connection).

Your simplest option is to replace the modem UTV supplied you with a single device which combines the ADSL modem and ethernet router into one package.

N.B. some devices sold as "broadband" routers require a separate modem with an ethernet connection. If you get an ethernet router (LinkSys, NetGear, etc.) make sure it has a built in ADSL modem.

Alternatively, if you have a PC, you can connect your existing USB modem to your PC. Then Enable Internet Connection Sharing in Windows; this allows your PC to act as as a router. Then buy an Ethernet cross-over cable to connect your PC to your PlayStation (this assumes your PC already has an ethernet connector; if not you will also need to buy an ethernet card or USB ethernet adapter for your PC.). This will be cheaper than buying a new combined modem/router, but the disadvantage of this is that your PC will be have to be on whenever you want to use your PS/2 online.

Back