Bringing a 5 year old to UK on Ryanair!

larry1

According to their site, children under 16 once accompanied by an adult do not require ID. Can anyone confirm this for me please??

Hi larry1.. you do not state your route but actually what the website says is "Photo-Id for children under 16 years is not required for... Children travelling with an adult on internal flights within the UK, internal flights within Italy and UK-Republic of Ireland-UK routes..."

So if you were coming from the UK to Ireland and going back to the UK - you would be fine, but if you are going from Ireland to the UK you need ID. You can check this with them on 1530 787 787 (within Ireland)

Thats actually not true
The way it is worded UK-Republic of Ireland-UK routes means
Flights UK to ROI or flights ROI to UK
Therefore one would not require photo id for children travelling from ROI to Uk or vice versa
Thanks

However, RyanAir checkin staff do not always know that ID is not necessary
for children. I know people who have had problems.

Does anyone know if the Common Travel Agreement between UK and Ireland
spipulated what is necessary ?

We went to the uK on Ryanair last year with 4 kids and no id was provided or asked for. Once we were asked for birth certs on BMI Baby - but we didn't have them and were eventually let on.

huskerdu said:
Does anyone know if the Common Travel Agreement between UK and Ireland
spipulated what is necessary ?

It has never required any ID whatsoever. I remember travelling to London on Aerlingus many times without ID in the 90's.

(my highlighting):
A common travel area is in existence between Ireland and the UK (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man). There is no formal agreement between Ireland and UK regarding the common travel area and it is not provided for in legislation. The first legal recognition of the common travel area between Ireland and the UK is contained in the Treaty of Amsterdam.

Rules

The Common Travel Area means that there are no passport controls in operation for Irish and UK citizens travelling between the two countries. Since 1997, some controls are in effect on arrivals in Ireland from the UK but this does not mean that you are required to carry your Irish or UK passport with you when you travel between the countries. You must, however, carry an acceptable form of photo-identification, examples of which are:
  • A valid passport
  • A driver's licence with photo
  • An international student card
  • A national ID card
  • A bus pass with photo
  • A Garda ID with photo
  • A work ID with photo

I have upon most arrivals from the UK being greeted by the grunt of "Irish or English". I have never been asked for ID upon arrival in either the UK or Ireland.

Well according to the above info it could happen so it would seem to be prudent to carry some including for infants/children just in case.

Back