Bridging loan for car.

colly

Can anyone tell me how easy/difficult it is to get a temporary loan until I sell my car? I bought a car off a mate recently, I gave him half, with the rest to follow upon the same of my car. But I am having trouble selling it quick enough, and I still owe him 8k. He now needs this asap, but I can't shift my car quick enough. Do banks do this or is it too much of a risk for them? I've dropped the price on my car so hopefully it will shift but if it doesn't I'm in trouble!

Get a personal loan from Tesco (7.5% APR) and then repay it when you sell your car. You don't have to tell them what your intentions are, i.e. it is short-term. There is no penalty for early redemption.

europhile said:
What do credit unions charge these days?

If they charge less than 7.5%-well and good-but don't they have a requirement that you must have savings with them as well?

CCOVICH said:
Get a personal loan from Tesco (7.5% APR) and then repay it when you sell your car. You don't have to tell them what your intentions are, i.e. it is short-term. There is no penalty for early redemption.

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. However I currently hvae 2 10k loans at the moment - 1 through AIB, and the other through a broker/reseller called Open.ie, but its still underwritten by AIB anyway.

Will tesco check and see these? If they see 2x 10k loans will they be reluctant to give me a 3rd? I'm on about 50k what are the boundres of personal loan amounts vs income? Thanks

One more question. I have recently changed jobs - its a far better job with more money but I know companies look badly upon this as there is some uncertainty and risk. What can I do about this as I have only just started last month?

colly said:
Yeah that sounds like a good idea. However I currently hvae 2 10k loans at the moment - 1 through AIB, and the other through a broker/reseller called Open.ie, but its still underwritten by AIB anyway.

Will tesco check and see these? If they see 2x 10k loans will they be reluctant to give me a 3rd? I'm on about 50k what are the boundres of personal loan amounts vs income? Thanks

Yes, they will see these loans (Tesco loans are provided by Ulster Bank), and even though I'm not an underwriter, I would imagine that you would struggle to get another loan for €10k, given that you will have €30k of debt on a salary of €50,000.

And yes, the fact that you changed jobs recently will almost certainly count against you. I belive (from anecdotal evidence) that Tesco have fairly stringent lending criteria.

Nearly 2 weeks later and no car sale-doesn't look too good.

CCOVICH said:

CCOVICH, are you sure this is in fact the case, i.e. no penalty for early redemption?

Looking at the FAQ on the tesco web-site they say

Q. Can I pay it off early?
A. Yes. Simply call the Tesco Loans Helpline on 1850 520 520* and the full amount of your loans outstanding will be calculated and you will be advised of the amount payable to close the account.

Not quite the same thing IMO :(

Well if you look at this page

http://www.tesco.ie/finance/personalloans/index.html

you see the following:

No surprises... just guarantees!
  • The Tesco Loan is a fixed rate loan, so your repayments are GUARANTEED NEVER TO CHANGE…unlike variable loans.
  • No set up fees, and NO EXIT PENALTIES
(Their emphasis)

It would of course be worth getting clarification in writing if you do consider taking out a Tesco loan and repaying early.

Thanks for that CCOVICH, i had missed the obvious and went straight to the FAQ :eek:

It does clarify things, and makes Tesco a very attractive option for those who want a personal loan, given how ECB rates are increasing presently.

Don't forget under the Consumer Credit Act 1995 if you pay off a loan early you have a right to an interest rebate. This doesn't however cover penalties ofr early redemtion so still have to check for these.

Back