Brexit rolls on in a City divided by eating habits

Have they got notions on DNS now?
I blame Ryan and his Green party with their plans to extend the light-rail system onto DNS by cutting down trees, ripping up two parks, building otherwise unnecessary bridges and car-parks. It's the thin end of the prawn sand-wedge, as Keano might say.

I blame Ryan and his Green party with their plans to extend the light-rail system onto DNS by cutting down trees, ripping up two parks, building otherwise unnecessary bridges and car-parks. It's the thin end of the prawn sand-wedge, as Keano might say.
How else is the help meant to get over to the South Side to clean and houses and do the gardens and whatnot.

We don't produce anywhere near enough wheat suitable for flour. About 50% of our flour is imported and most of the wheat used by the 3 Mills here is also imported. It would be more correct to say "almost none".
We only have one proper flower mill in Portarlington for Odlums owned by Valeo, its been there a very long time. We dont have the weather to produce proper milling flower need lots of sunshine for that. most of the wheat for milling comes from Canada

There should be a tunnel, like in Monaco, so the plebs are kept hidden from view and not allowed to look at the palaces.

Yes, the president didn't want his thoughts disturbed by sightseers and loud trains.
And rightly so, for a man regarded as the greatest living Irishman by the greatest living Irish poet and intellectual.*

*ref M.D. Higgins

And a man of the people too.
Yes, He manages to get by on his Salary, Ministerial pension, NUIG pension and rental income from his investment property in Galway (I don't know if he's renting out his house there). If the Presidential Pension of €180,000 and the Ministerial Pension of €169,952 and his NUIG pensions don't cover the bills when he retires he could always rent out his apartment in Mount St. in Dublin where his daughter currently lives.
A man of the people indeed.

Yes, He manages to get by on his Salary, Ministerial pension, NUIG pension and rental income from his investment property in Galway (I don't know if he's renting out his house there). If the Presidential Pension of €180,000 and the Ministerial Pension of €169,952 and his NUIG pensions don't cover the bills when he retires he could always rent out his apartment in Mount St. in Dublin where his daughter currently lives.
A man of the people indeed.

A man 'of' the people not among them. We are not worthy.

A man 'of' the people not among them. We are not worthy.
I am wrong; while in office he has gifted his Ministerial Pension to the people of Ireland. While in office he'll get by on his salary of just under €250,000 plus free room and board. I presume he's taking his €19,000 NUIG Pension though. I suppose he need a little extra in case the €317,000 in allowances doesn't cover everything.

Having said that we are lucky to have him. As he has pointed out himself he's been on the right side of every social issue in this country for the last 40 years. He's an intellectual and moral giant so he is.

Last edited:
There should be a tunnel, like in Monaco, so the plebs are kept hidden from view and not allowed to look at the palaces.

Bit like London when you pass through Shepards Bush, through Shepards Bush roundabout and then go into Holland Park, it's bizarre how one side of a roundabout is like a different city to the other

Far from mini chorizo bites we were rared on......... Have they got notions on DNS now?
My paternal Grandfather was a retired Flight Commander who served in the Royal Flying Corps during WW1 seeing action in Mesopatamia , France and post war in Cairo and my Grandmother was a marvellous cook and Baker who went to Cairo with her husband .
On returning to Waterford after many years my grandmother owned a confectionery shop and also cooked to order.
My Grandfather's taste in food was heavily influenced by his postings and my Grandmother's by her catering business.
As a child in the sixties I have vivid memories of eating goat curry with various chutneys,lobster au gratin,jugged hare,crab,mock turtle soup and my favourite-wilful,reckless pudding !
I still have my Grandmother's hand written cook book which spans a 50 year period up to her death.

Last edited:
My paternal Grandfather was a retired Flight Commander who served in the Royal Flying Corps during WW1 seeing action in Mesopatamia , France and post war in Cairo and my Grandmother was a marvellous cook and Baker who went to Cairo with her husband .
On returning to Waterford after many years my grandmother owned a confectionery shop and also cooked to order.
My Grandfather's taste in food was heavily influenced by his postings and my Grandmother's by her catering business.
As a child in the sixties I have vivid memories of eating goat curry with various chutneys,lobster au gratin,jugged hare,crab,mock turtle soup and my favourite-wilful,reckless pudding !
I still have my Grandmother's hand written cook book which spans a 50 year period up to her death.

It sounds like you were living in an Elizabeth Bowen novel :)

With a pedigree like that you could be writing a column for the Irish Times!

Back