Brexit rolls on in a City divided by eating habits

mathepac

There is a serious emerging food crisis on de Nort side of Dublin according to the Irish Independent this morning ”The M&S food hall in the Omni Park Shopping Centre, Santry, seemed to have run out of a variety of foods including Scottish smoked peppered mackerel, air-dried mini chorizo bites, medium cured pork pies and Viennese all-butter swirl biscuits.”

Asked to comment a local resident said “Wot? Are youse fillimin' me? Be careful I don’t stick de loaf on yiz, right?” were the only publishable and intelligible comments from Joxer and his "fam".

Meanwhile on the other side of the city in in Rottformingham, aromatic shredded duck pancakes were not due for delivery until February 15, according to a label on the shelf and some of the dairy and frozen food section looked relatively bare. A Tesco spokesperson said: “Owing to our extensive Brexit preparation, stock-building and collaboration with suppliers, our supply chain is robust and is responding well, with plenty of stock to go around."

Just shows you how dependent we are on UK for groceries. we don't process much food here ourselves and any food we do process depends on quick access to the UK market like the meat and dairy processors. Even quintessential irish brands like Lyons tea, Jacobs biscuits or batchelors beans are manufactured in UK. Food is a low margin business therefore costs associated with transport , bureacracy etc will immediately be reflected in prices.

More likely to contain shredded aromatic duck-breast. Most of the foods listed by the Indo as "missing or in short suppy" have never appeared on my shopping lists or till receipts and now never will. Unless that is, M&S have cornered world markets in them and now want to create demand by brain-washing us into needing them! More non-reporting by the Indo journobots.

More likely to contain shredded aromatic duck-breast. Most of the foods listed by the Indo as "missing or in short suppy" have never appeared on my shopping lists or till receipts and now never will. Unless that is, M&S have cornered world markets in them and now want to create demand by brain-washing us into needing them! More non-reporting by the Indo journobots.

In fairness when it comes to prepared foods... lasagne, cottage pie, steak kidney pie, seafood pie, desserts, prepared vegetables, sides - the meal deal elements - the M&S offerings are on another level to any other retailer here. Not essential\basic items, but they were much enjoyed here especially when just in the door from work (when we stll went into the office...)

In fairness when it comes to prepared foods... lasagne, cottage pie, steak kidney pie, seafood pie, desserts, prepared vegetables, sides - the meal deal elements - the M&S offerings are on another level to any other retailer here. Not essential\basic items, but they were much enjoyed here especially when just in the door from work (when we stll went into the office...)
This will hit pensioners hardest as they are the only ones with enough money to shop in M&S. I was in the one in Dundrum a while back and the shoppers were almost all coffin dodgers.
I bet you buy bread though. We don't produce any bread flour in this country.
The good news is the Lidl do quite a nice shredded duck. Their smoked mackerel is also excellent.

This will hit pensioners hardest as they are the only ones with enough money to shop in M&S. I was in the one in Dundrum a while back and the shoppers were almost all coffin dodgers.

The Dublin city centre locations (Grafton st, Henry st, IFSC) pre-pandemic would be very busy with time short professionals* at lunchtime and after work.
* I may have been one of them

Sorry what Purple? What do you mean by "bread flour"? We produce plenty of flour suitable for bread making in this country.

The bread flour milling mainly happens in N Ireland or England for Irish bread you buy on the shelves, think there is only one mill in the Republic for Odlums for bake at home bread.

The bread flour milling mainly happens in N Ireland or England for Irish bread you buy on the shelves, think there is only one mill in the Republic for Odlums for bake at home bread.
And they Mill imported wheat.

Quote taken from that article"Ireland now produces just a small amount of flour from Irish wheat "
Ok so when you said "We don't produce any bread flour in this country. " what you meant was "We don't produce much bread flour in this country. "
We don't produce anywhere near enough wheat suitable for flour. About 50% of our flour is imported and most of the wheat used by the 3 Mills here is also imported. It would be more correct to say "almost none".

A question was raised about this elsewhere and it was why not import the flour from France for instance?
Apparently the flour grade there is different and would not work for the bread we are used to.

A question was raised about this elsewhere and it was why not import the flour from France for instance?
Apparently the flour grade there is different and would not work for the bread we are used to.
What, We'd end up eating much nicer French style bread? (not that dreadful muck that's passed off as French bread in supermarkets here)

Back