Brexit and the Border

Discussion in 'Shooting the Breeze' started by cremeegg, 29 Aug 2017.

1. odyssey06

odyssey06 Frequent Poster

I dreamt that Mr. Haughey had recaptured Crossmaglen ... Then Garret got re-elected and gave it back again.

Duke of Marmalade likes this.
  2. john luc

john luc Frequent Poster

Northern Ireland's economy is heavily dependent on it public sector income and its this that needs to be protected by them should a united Ireland raise as a possibility. The average UK citizen is not aware just how much the North costs Britain to keep and so if a future UKIP decides to raise this issue as a reason to drop the north it could get traction with the voters. The North is in a very dangerous position at the moment because I believe Brexiteers would happily dump the north but only hold back because it would precipitate Scotland and even Wales looking to leave.

odyssey06 likes this.
  3. Purple

Purple Frequent Poster

It looks like there is an agreement although it probably won't make it through the Commons.
    If passed the Brits keep the North and we don't have to take on that social and economic basket case.

We may have dodged a bullet there and avoided the whole thing blowing up in our faces.

4. john luc

john luc Frequent Poster

This saga is going to run for a long while yet methinks. Confucius had his tongue in his cheek when he said,"may you live in interesting times". As a history buff I'd say "may you live in boring times and read about interesting times".