Brendan recommending an unlicensed bus service

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this had been made about any other named or identifiable individual, it would have been deleted and the poster warned for defamation. I simply asked him by PM to withdraw the comment, which he first ignored and then refused to do.
To be fair to Brendan, if an administrator requests by PM that a poster withdraw a comment (on the basis of defamation), and they first ignore the request, and then blatantly refuse to do so, the recourse normally would be to ban them surely? This is a complete breach of site etiquette (as well as being very rude to moderators/administrators who give a large amount of their time free, in moderating this site).
If someone wants to use this site, they need to abide by site rules/moderating decisions. This is what maintains the high quality of the site.
Nicola

If someone wants to use this site, they need to abide by site rules/moderating decisions. This is what maintains the high quality of the site.
Nicola

I'm sure cereba would argue that they were within the rules and felt that being asked withdraw a statement that they believed in was unfair.

This is a complete breach of site etiquette (as well as being very rude to moderators/administrators who give a large amount of their time free, in moderating this site).

I think most posters appreciate Brendan and the mods work here, but having a disagreement with the site owner is not a lack of site etiquette. Cereba had a right to question Brendans position on recommending unlicenced operators as much as Brendan has a right to ban posters from his site.

Last edited:
Highly unlikely, in my opinion. It is impossible to tax a car unless its insurance is up to date. A private motorist can insure a car even if its tax (technically its vehicle licence) is out of date. A major catch-22 would apply otherwise.

That is not the case. When you renew your motor tax online and are asked for your insurance policy number you can actually input any gibberish without any consequences.

That is not the case. When you renew your motor tax online and are asked for your insurance policy number you can actually input any gibberish without any consequences.

Okay then...

It is impossible to legally tax a car unless its insurance is up to date. A private motorist can insure a car even if its tax (technically its vehicle licence) is out of date. A major catch-22 would apply otherwise.

having a disagreement with the site owner is a lack of site etiquette.

I don't think this is the case. I have disagreed with Brendan on many issues over the years. I have yet to see him abuse his position as administrator in response. That said, if I were to openly attack his integrity, he would be quite justified in deleting my attack and asking for me to retract & withdraw it. If I refused to do so, he would be quite justified in banning me.

I think most posters appreciate Brendan and the mods work here, but having a disagreement with the site owner is a lack of site etiquette. Cereba had a right to question Brendans position on recommending unlicenced operators as much as Brendan has a right to ban posters from his site.

Of course Cerebra had a right to question Brendan (or any other contributor to AAM for that matter), this was not the issue.
The etiquette problem was his response to a PM from an administrator/moderator: he was given an option to withdraw his comment, he declined that choice, after ignoring the first attempt to contact him, then he was banned as a result. I think it would be hard not to ban a poster in those circumstances.
That doesn't seem unreasonable.
Nicola

Folks

We don't discuss mods' decisions. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. I have no problem with anyone pointing out a possible inconsistency in the editorial approach.

i do have a serious problem where someone accuses a named person of a dishonest motive. They would normally be formally warned about this. In this case, I simply asked him to withdraw the comment.

He accuses me of dishonesty on the issue. That is offensive.

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back