Breaking contractual term agreement

fear peile

My tenants have given one months notice and when they move out will only have completed 6 months of a one year signed lease agreement. I recently spent some money on the property which was at their request and 3 weeks after I had work completed for them they give me their notice. My cashflow situation was not good at the time but I did the work to keep them happy. reasons for moving out are for personal reasons and are not connected with the property. Am I entilted to hold the deposit on the grounds that they didnt complete the term on the signed lease agreement.

In most cases and under most leases, you would be well entitles to keep the deposit - but be careful, don't tell them until they move out as (it happened to me) they could wreck the place.

I think once they have been there 6 months or more the tenants have rights, and you shouldn't be able to just keep their deposit, surely. They have given you the required one month's notice and you should make every effort to re-rent it within that time and give them back their deposit. Things happen to people and they need to move out, eveyone needs to act in a fair manner. See this link: [broken link removed]

Thank you for your replies and info.

What annoyed me about this situation is that they requested work done on the property and 3 weeks after I completed this for them they gave me their notice. I did this work at a substantial cost and although it probably will add value to the property when I enventually sell, it wasnt a very suitable time for me at the time to do it as regards my cash flow. I also treated them cosiderable well at christmas (ie. some cash refund on rent.)
I consider myself a fair man in all circumstances and I dont want to be paid rent on the double by holding their deposit, if I can get someone in immediatly, but I could be at a loss of 2-3 weeks rent after they move out, before I can identify a suitable tenant to rent the property again.they did sign the lease for a year !!

ps: The property is advertised and I did have a viewer today and the property was a mess and absolutly no effort was made to make it in a presentable manner for the viewers by them. how fair is this , They dont give a s... if I re rent or not once they go.

Last edited:
"To pay to the landlord, a security deposit of when this agreement is signed to protect the landlord against the tenants failure to pay the rent or comply with the other terms of this agreement."

One of the terms of the agreement was a term of one year.

Other then then the clause mentioned above there is no reference to early termination of the lease in the contract.

would appreciate your view on the situation mathepac

I don't believe that the lease allows you to keep their deposit solely on the basis that they left early.

I f you need to pay someone to clean or make the property presentable for the new tenants or if there are gas /electricity / services bills to be paid, this could be appropriate use of the deposit money.

They sound like messers, you are probably as well off getting shut of them.

Fear Peile - As I have already mentioned, in most cases of a one year lease and the tenants leave early, the landlord is entitled to keep the deposit. Others are trying to make a point of to be fair with people like this - if they have their own personal problems - Tough. And you saw for yourself when ylou had a viewing of what they thoughts of your property - in a mess. KEEP THE DEPOSIT BUT ONLY MENTION AFTER THEY HAVE LEFT.

Back