Break times

HeadTheWall

I have received a new rota at work. They expect me to take dinner break two hours after I start and a 15 minute break later in the day. Other staff are starting earlier and take their dinner hour after me.

Can they enforce this, I'm not querying the amount of break time but the times at which they want me to take it e.g. 9:45 start and dinner at 12

Head

6 o clock but I do get another 15 minute break later on at 3 . It's the taking a hour break so soon after starting makes the second half of the day an awful drag. I think they're doing it to try and annoy me. Just want to know can it be complained about or not. Thanks

Head

The Organisation of Working Time Act doesn't go into very much detail regarding breaks. It specifies that there should be a minimum 15 mins for up to 4.5 hours of work, and 30 minute break for up to 6 hours work. It doesn't specify when the break should be taken during the period.

There are slight differences for shop workers and other industries, but nothing further that would be relevant to your problem.

[broken link removed]

Is there any good business reason for the 12 noon break, such as covering a shop over lunch?

Plenty of people in the office, people that start before me in the morning get their dinner break after I do e.g. from 1 on

Seems like unreasonable and/or lazy management. Have you talked to anyone about it?

Back