Break in Car Insurance - how does it affect NCB?

warrendublin

Hi,

I'm in the US for the next 10 months or so. My car insurance in Ireland up for renewal in January and I'm trying to find out what will happen if i don't renew it. Will I lose all my NCB or when i return, will i have to resit my driving test?

Thanks a lot.

The last time I checked, your NCB was valid as long as you renewed within 2 years, .i.e. you could stop driving for up to 2 years then get insured and your previous NCB would be applied.

I see no reason why you would have to resit your driving test. One could get a driving licence, put it in a drawer for 9 years, then take it out and it's still valid. I'm not advising it though :)

No, you won't have to resit driving test.
For most insurers, your No claims is valid for 2 years. But that doesn't mean you'll have a higher premium before the NCD is applied.

You could renew the insurance, then suspend it holding cover for just fire and theft if you have comp cover or third party fire and theft. Most of the cover is for third party cover so you should get a pretty large refund on your return. Tell the insurance company not to issue you with the insurance disc as they will not suspend cover unless the disc is returned to them. On your return contact them to give you full cover and to issue you with the insurance disc.

Back