Breach of contract - meaning?

M

Messenger

Because of delays with our home (over a year after promised completion date), my partner and I have had to rent for the past 12 months at considerable expense (about 10,000 Euro) and inconvenience to us both. We've moved 3 times in the last 11 months and since I work from home I have effectively changed business premises 3 times too.

Our builder is in breach of contract this May and I would like to know what this means since there is still no completion date being provided due to dispute with the Council. Can we be reimbursed for the rent we have had to pay due to his delay and the future rent?

I don't have a copy of the contract handy (our solicitor has it and i hope to talk to him next week).

Any help would be great. Is it possible to get the rental expense (10,000) we have paid off the total cost of the house etc when it is finally finished?

Almost certainly not - it is very unlikely that your builder comitted to a completion date in the contract.

Prior to putting down our deposit and signing contracts both builder and estate agent said the houses would be completed by June 05. In the contract I believe (have to double check) the solicitor mentioned they put down April / May 06.

Thanks for the feedback though.
Anyone else?

Back