Bratislava

Odea

Just booked a flight to Bratislava next Septmeber with Bratislava is located about 40kms from Vienna. Has anyone been to Bratislava and can anyone recommend a hotel there or would it be more advisable to stay in Vienna. All recommendations appreciated.

Hi, would recommend staying in Vienna rather than Bratislava. Bratislava ok for a daytrip but Vienna has much more to offer.

Went on a recent 2 week holiday to Budapest, Vienna, Bratislava and Krackow and spent 2 of these days in Bratislava; 2 hours would have been plenty:mad:
Visited the castle and not great but the view from the top of all the Ballymun flats was a memory, serious not sure why people recommend it and I will not be back.

Vienna is an infinitely more enjoyable city to go to in my opinion

I visited Bratislava in 1991, and I still remember the place but for the wrong reasons.

There's an enormous and hideous chemical works called Petrzhalka across the river and highly visible.

Also large parts of the historic quarter, specifically the Jewish quarter, were demolished when the bridge (Most SNP) was built.

I guess the old Communist era hotels have been upgraded since I was there. All rooms were equipped with a radio without any tuner so you couldn't tune into any decadent capitalist stations.

If you're still keen on going I'd get a copy of the Claudio Magri book Danube as it covers Bratislava in some detail.

If you could visit some other parts of Slovakia it might be interesting as I believe the Tatras might be worth a visit if you like nature.

G

O dear!. I guess its Vienna then. Anybody ever travel from Bratislava airport to Vienna city?. I will be looking for a hotel recommendation in Vienna, about €80 for a double, centrally located.

Hotel Regina,in District 1, very central. Cheap enough this time of the year. Two great Irish pubs, Charlie Ps, and Molly Darcy's beside it.

hi there..yeh stay in vienna..beautiful city.

i went to bratislava for a day trip from vienna...you get a train from one of the stations in vienna to brat..then get a bus from bratislava station to the centre of town. This part of the city is lovely..old town with narrow streets etc..and the castle. It is worth a visit. Going from wealthy austria to brat is a real eye opener...from riches to post communism.

the view from the castle, across the danube will make you feel how lucky you are..all you see on the horizon are flats and slums...like 200 ballymuns (old ballymuns).

enjoy!

How long is your trip? Was in Vienna for 5 days last September and went on a day trip to Bratislava. The old town is beautiful and tiny. We hadn't intended on spending the night but were having such a good evening we booked ourselves into a little hotel near the foot of the castle and eat& drank the night away.
Eventhough Vienna is gorgeous we found that there wasn't much life after 11pm.

Jonnyhotspur. How did you organise your day trip to Bratislava. Even though I am flying in to Bratislava airport, I will probably stay in Vienna and do a day trip to Brat or as you suggested I might stay the first night in Brat. and the following in Vienna. Going for 4 nights.

ODEA. Really easily. Bratislava has become a commuter town for Vienna over the years. They are only about 40 miles apart. I think the train takes about 45 minutes. Trains go very frequently between the two. All the info is in my Lonely Planet guide. I'll have a look at it tonight. I'll let you know where we stayed and good restaurants in both. I think you can take a fast ferry up the Danube from one to the other now also.

Odea,

Teravision are a bus company in europe who run buses from airports to the local citites. they do a bratislava airport to vienna direct service:

[broken link removed]

Enjoy

odea
The Bratislava trains leave Vienna's Sudbanhof station ( about 6 a day if i remember correctly-about €18 return) and you can get to it by taking the metro to Sudtiroler Platz. Don't forget to bring you passport ( it will be stamped on the train) and get some euros changed.
You arrive at the main Bratislava station and need to take a taxi or bus into town. We didn't know this so in the confusion, just hopped onto a bus (without paying) and a local woman told us when to jump off. The journey takes about 15 minutes and takes you through some typically grey, scary looking communist apartment complexes. Don't let this put you off as the old town and people are lovely. Alternatively if there is a taxi at the train station take it. Our journey back cost €5ish. Unlike Prague the taxi men don't seem to rip you off.
This is the nice little hotel we stayed in for about €65
http://www.bratislavahotels.com/pension-castle-club-bratislava

The above site also has loads of other info on Bratislava.

I'm on the lookout for a hotel in Bratislava. Any suggestions?

We stayed in Hotel Marrols in Bratislava last December/January for 2 nights and then headed to Vienna. The hotel was beautiful and very reasonable. I think we booked through hotelclub.com or hotels.com. Check tripadvisor and other sites as the prices vary a lot between the different sites and the one we eventually booked through was significantly cheaper than some others. Contrary to some other opinions expressed, I am glad we stayed the 2 nights in Bratislava. It was incredibly cold when we were there though and there was heavy snowfall making it difficult to walk around. I think you do get a true sense of what it must have been like during the communist years. In Vienna, we stayed in the Nordbahn hotel, which was good. Cheap and clean, if a little 70's - very brown! We got the train from Brat to Vienna. from what i remember the hydofoil stops running between the two at some point in September each year.

I stayed on a boat on the Danube in Bratislava about 5 mins walk from the castle. The cabins were a bit small but beautifully decorated with original wood panelling etc. I'll try and dig out the name of the hotel, its restaurant was fabulous.

I stayed in the Ibis as my budget didn't stretch to the Radisson on this occasion. The Ibis is in an unbeatable location on the edge of the old city which is more or less all a tourist will want to see. Perfectly fine place. EU72 room only. EU65 at weekends. Breakfast is extra and very substantial.

Train from Vienna Sudbahnhof to Bratislava City Centre is now EU12 each way. There are also hourly buses from Sudtirolerplatz (Eurolines). EU9, I think one way.

One night in Bratislava is really enough to take in what's on offer there. That said, the old town is very pretty.

Went on trip to Bratislava and Vienna earlier this year and stayed a few days in Bratislava and found it great. We stayed in the Hotel Danube right on the river overloooking the bridge with the viewing tower.
Hotel is good value and has two alright restaurants.
You are right by the Castle, and 5 minutes walk to the Opera house, Mc
Old city is small but cool, found a few great restaurants including one in hotel where we were lucky to be the only ones, being server by two waiters in full dress with tails and all. It is a place to relax and you can cover everthing in couple of days at your leisure.

Vienna is different since like Paris there is just so much to see.
You will notice difference in prices once you cross to Vienna. You can take train for less than €20 and arrive at the Subahnhof station in about an hour.
Note the border guards from both countries like to have a look at your passport as you get on the train in Bratislava.
Makes them feel important I guess.

Back