bratislava, vienna, budapest

T

Tiger

Planning a trip end of August for an extended week to vienna plus a couple of accessible cities (train), bratislava and budapest the plan for the moment.
Any recommended sights in these places, places to stay/eat etc.?
Also any suggested alternative stops (only flight to vienna booked so far)?
Thanks.

just back from Bratislava - great place. Like a small and regenerating version of prague without the tourists - lovely architecture, still cheap food and drink and stunning people (ok - well the women are certainly fab, cannot rate the men myself)

apparently good way to travel down from vienna is by boat/barge - only 40 miles down the Danube with some great views and more relaxing than taking on the road system (pretty rocky once you enter slovakia)

also, if you are there later than September, there is a very well recognised opera company and a lovely opera house - and the tickets are only a fraction of those in vienna

have a great one :D

Been to Budapest a couple of times, the last time being last May .

Excellent spot and very highly recommended.

While there, take a boat-trip on the Danube, take the funicular for some awesome views of the city. There is a hot-air balloon at the main shopping mall that you can go up on, I believe the views from it are excellent. For an experience, pay a visit to the Gellairt (spelling!) baths (not everyone's fancy).

If you can stay in Pest. Loads of sights in Buda while all the nightlife (bars, restaurants) are in Pest.

Food and drink are still relatively cheap compared to home. Good Irish Pub in the middle of town called Beckitts, normally some craic to be had there.

If you are getting taxis, take one at a rank. These are pretty reasonable. I believe you'll be ripped off if you hail one.

Oh yeah, Hungarian women are awesome. My wife has vowed never to bring me back there!!

Back