Boundary Hedge

Discussion in 'Askaboutlaw' started by Bocon1, 15 Mar 2019.

1. NoRegretsCoyote

NoRegretsCoyote Frequent Poster

In my honest opinion, you don't need legal advice, you need a net curtain:)

Purple, Saavy99 and noproblem like this.
  2. noproblem

noproblem Frequent Poster

Saying the gardener was wrong is in my opinion ridiculous. They're asked to do a job, they do it. My neighbour who had a rather large hedge running alongside my rented property planted a ready made hedge outside of the original one and brought the height to almost 10 overnight. I could never contact him for one reason or another and decided he had gone overboard on the height. I waited until the end of autumn and had the thing cut back a few feet, wasn't long until the absent neighbour surfaced. We had words, but the hedge was cut and he was told it would be again. Funny thing is the hedge is now cut every year and is reasonable without any help from me. I too like my peace and privacy, but there's a limit, 8ft to me is high enough for anyone.

3. SparkRite

SparkRite Frequent Poster

I REALLY wish that I had the time to be so concerned over the height of a hedge as the OP apparently has, but I, and I assume most others, have rather more pressing matters in life to fill our time.

To the OP, just wait a few months and you'll have your 12' back.

4. LS400

LS400 Frequent Poster

Hang on a minute,

Your getting some undeserved stick, and even some smart alec responses here.

Whether or not you can do anything about it now, I really cant say, but, I would be mighty peeved of if I too came home to find someone hacked back the said trees without my agreement, Law or no flamin Law. Common decency would not go amiss here, and I wouldn't be shy about letting them have an earful.

If they are within their rights to do this, so be it. It doesn't make the sneaky way they went about it right though.

deranne likes this.
  5. SparkRite

SparkRite Frequent Poster

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that the neighbour was right and I agree common courtesy is lacking in this situation.

By all means express your dissatisfaction to the neighbour, but get over it, move on, as I said the hedge will grow back.
    All this talk of legislation and litigation is just ridiculous, over a hedge !

6. Bocon1

Bocon1 New Member

Thanks LS400.
    It would have been great if the neighbour took the action of cutting the hedge before we moved in because we would not have probably even noticed. House was being renovated for 6 months so she had a chance to act then.

BTW, it's not like I'm talking about a 12 foot hedge on the back of a 3 bed semi size site. That would be seriously intrusive. Our neighbour owns trees on the opposite boundary that must be in the region of 25-30 foot tall.

7. Saavy99

Saavy99 Frequent Poster

There's a lot to be said for living in a scenic location without a neighbour in sight :D

Monbretia likes this.
  8. john luc

john luc Frequent Poster

There is an old adage, good fençes make for good neighbours.

9. MangoJoe

MangoJoe Frequent Poster

People are being a bit dismissive of your concerns here. To be honest it seems as if your neighbour was being a bit sneaky and underhanded in pushing their own hedge-cutting agenda, also if its your hedge then its your hedge, how dare they! - These two factors would annoy me no end.

Your beef is not with the Gardner though - Your dodgy Neighbour was pushing him all the way....

10. noproblem

noproblem Frequent Poster

How do you know that?

11. Leo

Leo Moderator

This is covered in the thread, it's a shared boundary hedge.

12. Bocon1

Bocon1 New Member

Yes. I did refer to it as a shared boundary because of the lack of a clear boundary that matches the folio maps of both properties. As it turns out the neighbour had eroded the boundary ditch over the years. All that remained of it was a tree stump line. We have dealt with the neighbour and it's been agreed to share the cost of some kind of concrete post fence along the folio map boundary line.
    The reason I called it a shared boundary for this thread was because the folio map boundary would not have been clear to the gardener at the time. I just wanted to focus in on the actions they took without consent of a neighbour who shares the boundary. I dont think its right that gardeners can say that they were led to believe there was an agreement. If they were misled by my neighbour then they can take it up with her.

13. Purple

Purple Frequent Poster

It's not the gardeners fault. They acted in good faith.
    The issue is with your neighbour. They were underhand in their actions.

The hedge is now 8ft tall and you don't like it... but it will grow on you.

14. MangoJoe

MangoJoe Frequent Poster

I'd imagine that the proportion of rogue guerrilla gardeners working to vex and outrage is eclipsed by the sheer numbers of ordinary decent gardeners just following their clients orders and trying to make an honest living.

15. Drakon

Drakon Frequent Poster

AFAIK, anything more than 6 feet is against bye-laws.
    That’s the way it is in the UK.

16. deranne

deranne Registered User

Finally a fair comment. I'd be peeved too, not enough to go legal but I wouldn't like it.