Bought off plans and floor area is not correct

stan_d

I bought an apartment last year off plans on the basis of a floor area of circa 807 sqft. When snagging it last week I measured it up accurately and it came to 718 sqft. Now I am well aware that some discrepancy is to be expected but surely not by 11% (worth €54K of the cost).

Obviously I feel I've been financially conned and am angry that I'm going to be living at a less spacious home. The floor area difference is equivalent to a small bedroom!

Does anybody know what can be done in such a case and has anybody been successful in receiving conpensation from a developer?

If you are not getting what you contracted to buy legally you shouldent lose your deposit but you could be in for a hard time.

Where was the floor area specified? In advertising for the development? In plans given to you? In the contracts? Ask your solicitor if any floor area details specified were merely indicative or if they were contractually binding.

Don't forget that you measure to include internal walls. You don't measure each room seperately and add up the total.

And presumably "dead" space such as that enclosed under stairs etc.? I presume that you need to measure the outside dimensions of the property and work it out from there.

Don't forget that you measure to include internal walls. You don't measure each room seperately and add up the total.

The measurement SHOULD and WILL include internal walls, bathrooms, hall, ensuite etc - comes under RICS code of measuring practise as NSA - I posted a more full post on this a couple of days ago

Where was the floor area specified? In advertising for the development? In plans given to you? In the contracts? Ask your solicitor if any floor area details specified were merely indicative or if they were contractually binding.

The approximate area was specified at booking deposit stage and it was also repeated on a floor plan from the architect that I requested. Will contact solicitor. Even if the floor area details were indicative, the margin of error has gone beyond what could be considered reasonable.

Get in a surveyor to double check your figures and if your figures are confirmed they you at least have some kind of official documentation to back up your claims

In same situation with my new house. Brochure says 2027 sq ft and it measures 1800 but if you include garage you get approx 2027. Is this allowed. Surely garage is not living space?

garage shouldnt be included unless they have stated that it is or unless its an integral garage that could be used as an addition room

Back