Boston - Hotels/Things to do..

Phibbleberry

Hey There,

Heading to NY and Boston next mth for a couple of weeks. NY for Paddys and then hope to hire a car: stop off for a night somewhere along the way to, and then three nights in Boston (flying home from Logan)
I know NYC pretty well, but not so sure on Boston..Anyone know a good place to stop off on the way there? Where best to stay once we get there: Downtown/Backbay? Any unmissable things to do?

All the Boston threads seem fairly old...maybe someone'll have more recent experiences?

Cheers,
PB
:)

There's loads in Boston and it's a really nice city. Any guidebook/trip advisor will be able to tell you the usual stuff to do, like the Freedom Trail (nice in nice weather), Faneuil Hall (a bit overrated IMO but nice for a wander), Newbury St. etc.

My personal favourites are the Boston Aquarium (it's world class), Isabella Gardner Museum and the glass flowers at Harvard (quite extraordinary). As well as downtown/Backbay, also consider staying in Cambridge/Harvard (near a T) if you can get a better deal on hotels as it's only a short hop into Boston proper and staying by the Charles is nice.

Go to Boston Common and stop off in the tourist office:

Do the tour guide walk (freedom trail)
Take a guided bus trip around the city
Take a tour of Fenway park (Baseball stadium) - ten minutes from Boston Common on subway
Go out to Harvard on the subway and walk around
Walk around Chinatown
There are decent Irish pubs out in Southie (Broadway) and Dorchester - both short trips on the T

Agree on the previous comment on the glass flowers in Harvard

I'm a firm believer if you go to America you should try to see them at play, therefore try the Boston Bruins for ice hockey or Celtics for Basketball.

I also found the JFK library and museum very interesting

I've stated in the Doubletree Downtown hotel. It's nothing fancy, but centrally located with lots of good Asian restaurants around (it's beside Chinatown).

I stayed at the Sheraton in Boston 3 years ago and found it great. There is a big shopping centre in the grounds of the hotel which helped when we had terrible snow/ice/wind and didn't want to brave the elements!

Agree on the previous comment on the glass flowers in Harvard

I'm a firm believer if you go to America you should try to see them at play, therefore try the Boston Bruins for ice hockey or Celtics for Basketball.

I also found the JFK library and museum very interesting

Yes! The JFK museum is super.

Usually get better prices on hotels in Cambridge. for example www.Hyatt.com is showing at $118 for Fri March 20th. Probably can get even better rates though the hotel discount sites and priceline

Get the GoBoston card for good discounts on all touristy things. Duck tour is entertaining and worth doing, but book in advance. Also the museum@MIT is quite good - Lots of interactive stuff that is quite fascinating.

I too stayed in the Sheraton a few years ago and found it to be a good base for staying in Boston .. and the fact that it was linked onto a shopping centre a great idea :) ..it's also close to Copley and high end Newbury street where you have your designer shops and some gorgeous restaurants .. even if the menu prices seem crazy it's a great street to stop for a coffee in one of the outdoor cafes and just people watch.
We did the duck tour which was a good laugh, the Boston old Town trolley tours ,Harbour Boat Trip, visited the North End (similar to little Italy in New York) which is the Italian district for some fab pizzas, icecream and pastries, spent an afternon around Harvard we also spent a hour or so just chilling out in the Boston Comm (the public park) and grabbing a beer afterwards in Cheers bar.

Have a look also on Tripadvisor.com -I find it really helpful. There are always good suggestions for things to do, regardless of where you are visiting, worldwide. You can also post your question on the specific (Boston) forum, and it is a great way to plan your trip. Happy holidays!!!:)

Back