borrowing for an attic conversion

Andy_and_lou

Hi, I recent bought an Affordable House, it's a 2 bed terrace, for my partner, my son and myself. I would like to make the most out of the space and there is room in the attic to put a room and Velux window, I go a quote for around 4000 (stira stair not a proper one) I would also like to build on a conservatory as down stairs I only have a very small kitchen/diner and a living room, I thought the conservatory would be very handy, for drying clothes, my sons toys, a place to dine in the summer etc...Problem is we'll have to get a loan out for this, is it worth it?

Re: A Room in the Attic and building on a conservatory?

As it was purchased under the affordable housing scheme and hefty penalties apply if you move early, you will more than likely be living there for many years to come so if the changes make the things more comfortable and convient for you, then why not.

I personally think the extension/Conservatory to the back of the house is much more useful if you have a young child(for supervision purposes). An attic conversion may be better for an older child/adult. I find it's a little inconvenient to have to walk up two flights of stairs to get to our attic converted room!

If you have a south facing back garden then the conservatory may get too warm in the summer. In that case I would suggest you consider getting a roof instead of glass/perspex, but maybe good blackout blinds would overcome the overheating problem

Take this as my opinion.

Attic - Yes
I plan to do this myself as if you weigh up the cost of moving (in your case the claw back ) and also stamp duties etc then an attic conversion is a fairly cheap way of getting more room. It should also stop people hoarding rubbish but thats a completely different topic !!!

Conservatory - No
I have heard a few people say that its too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter and therefore never gets used

I'm thinking of something similar for my attic.However it is a Bungalow in an estate of Bungalows.Do you need planning permission for an attic conversion or can you just put in it and add a few velux windows?I haven't seen any of the other houses with Conversions

From reading the terms and conditions on AF housing, they do state that if you make any changes that add value to the house and if you sell within the 20 year period, you will be reimbursed for improvements made.

Pennypincher, I was told that you don't need planning for a Velux window, I was told this by the man who is planning to do the conversion. I also don't think you need planning permission for a conservatory, sunroom probably but I don't think you need it for a glass conservatory....that's why these are options for us.

Taking out a loan makes me nervous, because I think of what will happen if I need a new car or need or to take a loan out for something else, hope that makes sense.

Pennypincher, I was told that you don't need planning for a Velux window, I was told this by the man who is planning to do the conversion. I also don't think you need planning permission for a conservatory, sunroom probably but I don't think you need it for a glass conservatory....that's why these are options for us.

I think you should double check this before you go ahead. At least make a phone call to your local planning department, get a name and advice. As far as I know some conservatories are indeed exempt but it depends on the size of the conservatory and the size of your back garden, not on the type of conservatory.

I heard that Velux windows at the rear of hte house are Ok, but at the front may need permission...

In broad terms a cons. to the side of a house needs planning. One to the rear doesn't if area < 23 sq metres and the open space is not reduced to <25 sq metres. Also the walls of the cons. can't be higher than the back wall and the roof can't go higher than the existing roof.

I think the regulation is that an extension of less than 40sqm is exewmpt, of which no more than 12sqm can be above ground floor level. Also a conversion of a garage attached to the house is exempt, but building over it requires planning.

Also it is true that there is a requirement to have 25sqm of open space at the back after teh extension.

There is already a Velux in the roof at the back of the house, this is in the ceiling of the back bedroom and it's down towards the eaves sp? The plan is that the new Velux will go up above that one.

popol said:
Conservatory - No
I have heard a few people say that its too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter and therefore never gets used

Parents built one with roof on. It is always used instead of sitting room.
Would recommend the roof as can get warm in summer even with the roof because south facing garden.

Back