Boreen / Right of Way - Legal costs

Clueless Clive

Hi All -

I’ve recently bought a field with access to two public roads, one directly and one via a boreen without right of way. Ive agreed with an adjoining landowner who owns the right of way, to have access to the road for domestic use only. That’s fine with me. As far as I know it’s a simple written agreement, signed by both parties and registered with the LRA.

I’ve approached the solicitor who did the conveyancing work for the field, who has asked for €1,200 plus VAT, the same amount I paid for the conveyancing work for the field, and the same amount I paid for conveyancing work for a house I recently bought.

Is there really the same amount of work in drafting the legal agreement for the right of way and registering it with the LRA, as there is in conveyancing for a house?

I would imagine there's a minimum price for a certain type of work. Are the quotes identical in terms of outlays and extras as well? You could ask for a reduction in fees if you're a regular customer, our solicitor did this for us as we used him for several switches.

Hi,

have you tried going through the land registry for right of way? no harm in asking them.
I recently transferred part of my folio to my parents folio, and they in turn did they same to solve a boundary issue.
Affidavits were written up + garda ID forms etc...and Land Registry updated folio's online. No solicitor involved.
Might be worth checking out
Tom

Don't try and do this yourself. Rights of way are an emotive subject that have a tendency to come back and bite people. Look at the case of the Clare TD who is having an objection to his planning permission from a neighbour over a right of way, 43 years after the neighbour objected to the TD's parents on the same grounds. Spend the money and do it right

Don't try and do this yourself. Rights of way are an emotive subject that have a tendency to come back and bite people. Look at the case of the Clare TD who is having an objection to his planning permission from a neighbour over a right of way, 43 years after the neighbour objected to the TD's parents on the same grounds. Spend the money and do it right
Agree. Get it done properly. Mind you €1200 plus Vat is a bit steep considering the solicitor has recently done the land conveyance itself and other work for you. I'd ask for a hefty discount on that basis.

I would say, since both parties agree, do it yourself. why hand over thousands€€ to solicitors?. each to their own I suppose.

I would say, since both parties agree, do it yourself. why hand over thousands€€ to solicitors?. each to their own I suppose.
Both parties may well agree. Now. Their successors in title, a few decades on?

Get the job done properly, but haggle on price.

Both parties may well agree. Now. Their successors in title, a few decades on?

Get the job done properly, but haggle on price.
Do bear in mind that the price quoted may well include a premium for inherent risk. Rights of way disputes can long-term prove far more contentious than any routine conveyancing task.

do it yourself, I mean go to land registry, fill out forms, get affidavits signed etc..so doesn't matter if any future legal issue arises, you can refer them back to land registry. each case has a separate reference number, and you'll also get written confirmation from land registry.

Back