Bord Gais not accepting IBAN

SEPA Consumer (Debtor) Rights
Under the SEPA Direct Debit Core Scheme Rules and SEPA Regulation 260-2012 consumers can:

• Use a single account to pay a SEPA Direct Debit in any SEPA country
  • Instruct their bank to refuse a SEPA Direct Debit
  • Prohibit the application of any SEPA Direct Debit to their bank accounts
  • Specify creditors who may collect SEPA Direct Debits from their bank accounts
  • Specify creditors who may not collect SEPA Direct Debits from their bank accounts
  • Limit a SEPA Direct Debit collection to a certain amount and/or period
  • Request a refund for any SEPA Direct Debit within eight weeks from the date on which the SEPA Direct Debit was debited from their account. Within the eight week period their bank must refund on a ‘no-questions asked’ basis
  • Request a refund for any unauthorised SEPA Direct Debit after 8 weeks and within 13 months from the date on which the SEPA Direct Debit was debited from their account.
More information on the SEPA Direct Debit Core Scheme is available from the

Under the SEPA Direct Debit Core Scheme Rules and SEPA Regulation 260-2012 consumers can:

I was curious about the obligations of businesses participating, while it's inconvenient for you they don't handle N26 payments, I don't see anything in the rules at the link you posted that would even suggest they are obliged to.

It's annoying because some companies do (for example I transfer between Credit Union and N26, could take out a loan and have it paid into N26, Electric Ireland Payzone take your money from an N26 account so it's just laziness on some companies part as they accept many other 'foreign' IBAN's. Anyway I have it in hand and they are updating their IT. So they say.

so it's just laziness on some companies part as they accept many other 'foreign' IBAN's.

I don't think "laziness" is the right word - they obviously just don't rate it high enough on their list of IT priorities. I imagine most organisations have many IT projects and have to prioritise them in some way. Presuamably if a significant proportion of their customers contact them to complain that they can't use a N26 account, then that would push the project higher up their list

All the answers were 'sorry we can only do Irish IBANS' but in the choose your bank there were Italian, Spanish, German, Porteguese and Hungarian banks, so that excuse did'nt wash with me. When you talk to them they have the N26 choice visible, it's just not switched on. Yet.

To help my understanding, have you actually got a SEPA DD set up with any creditor on your N26 account?

I transfer between Credit Union and N26
That sounds like a SEPA CT rather than a DD? Completely different scheme.

could take out a loan and have it paid into N26,
Again, that sounds like a SEPA CT?

Electric Ireland Payzone take your money from an N26 account
I'm assuming using a card payment? So again, not a SEPA DD.

I was curious about the obligations of businesses participating, while it's inconvenient for you they don't handle N26 payments, I don't see anything in the rules at the link you posted that would even suggest they are obliged to.
Hi Leo, it's part of the scheme rules.

However, there is a get-out in that a creditor can make it a condition of supplying a service that the debtor has an Irish bank account. A few companies pulled that early on, but the practice seems to have disappeared over time.

They must accept any SEPA reachable debtor account, using a signed mandate. There is no laziness about not accepting non-Irish accounts. It's created a lot of work to have a channel specific validation on IBANs to allow STP of mandates.

People often make the mistake of thinking that SEPA was about efficiency - it's not. It's about standardisation of charges and clearing times. It was a major step backwards in a number of countries where DD originators had to go back to using paper mandates.

Electric Ireland are a good example of how it's done properly under the derogation available for Irish originators, on their website:

"This Direct Debit form is for ROI bank accounts only. If you want to use a non Irish bank account please download and print the following mandate"

To help my understanding, have you actually got a SEPA DD set up with any creditor on your N26 account?

That sounds like a SEPA CT rather than a DD? Completely different scheme.
Again, that sounds like a SEPA CT?
I'm assuming using a card payment? So again, not a SEPA DD.

Hi Red, no I have not had to over the past 18 months. Changing the service provider is my first encounter with N26 DD and to be honest I was not expecting the 'Irish only need apply'. I am awaiting another provider to remedy the situation. It's not rocket science.

Back