Borax!

Erith

Does anyone happen to know where you can buy Borax or an equivalent?

Also washing soda (not baking soda).

I thought that most pharmacies sold borax powder or has something put a stop to that? Washing soda should be available from most supermarkets or at least your local DIY store.

For borax you could try " Auro " , a company selling natural paints , check the web .It is used as a preservative for timber . Soda is soda , at least in the chemical term . Baking soda is a food ingredient i.e. it has an "E" number . Washing soda is chemically the same thing but it could be contaminated with impurities .

Washing soda (sodium carbonate) is not the same as baking soda (sodium bicarbonate).
Nor caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) for that matter.

Hi Erith,

Just wondering if you ever tracked down any Borax? I was looking for some myself recently but couldn't get it anywhere.

Thanks

I have got borax in a chemist in Dun Laoghaire - Burnetts - but it is a restricted product because, I think, it is an ingredient in making explosives.

My excuses for the wrong info that soda is soda.Baking soda is not the same as washing soda as cobalt has stated correctly.
Borax can be obtained from Auro . I bought it myself there , but find the price a bit hefty.
Their trader is " health build " and they can be contacted via
[email protected]
Or in Dublin : Klee Paper , 89 North Circular Rd. , Dublin 7 . Ph.: 01-8385943

Forgotten: Washing soda is available from Tesco for € 1.01 / 500 gramms in the detergents department.

Surprised folks are looking for soda crystals (presumably for water-softening). Are there any hard-water areas in the State?

What do you mean by " hard " ? I have a total hardness ( Lime) of 120 mg/l.

Nothing to do with water softening I'm afraid! I was told that if you mix borax with icing sugar it's great for getting rid of ants (they have moved in to our front garden in the last 3-4 years and seem to be getting closer to the house).......we'll see how it goes!

Thanks for all your help

I think you may be confusing borax with boron. Boron is a component in more environmentally friendly water based wood preservatives.

No, it's definitely Borax. I've got it now too. I got it in Burnetts in Dun Laoghaire, thanks joanmul!

Back