Boots charging double prescription if buying two months of tablets at the same time.

Discussion in 'Consumer Issues and Rights' started by Laramie, 10 Oct 2018.

1. Laramie

Laramie Frequent Poster

Last edited: 10 Oct 2018
    I was in Boots today. I was renewing my prescription. I asked for two months supply instead of one month's supply. I was told that the cost would be double the one month's supply. When I enquired as to why, I was told that I would be charged their €7.50 non medical card holder prescription fee....twice. Considering their was only one action taking place (tablets sold in a pre-packaged box....not loose) I thought this unreasonable.

When I got my receipt, there was no breakdown of the cost of the tablets plus the cost of the prescription fee.

I think that this fee should be shown separately to the cost of the tablets on the receipt.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2018
  2. twofor1

twofor1 Frequent Poster

I get all 6 months of my prescription in one go from Bradleys, I am only charged one prescription fee.

They very kindly offer to mind my prescription and text me every month with my next months supply but I always decline as then I would incur 6 prescription fees.

The cost of my 6 months med including 1 prescription charge is less than €40.

6 prescription charges alone in Boots would be €45.

Think you need to change your chemist.

3. Laramie

Laramie Frequent Poster

I was also asked by Boots would I like to leave my prescription with them, now I know why! Like you, why would I want to pay 6 x €7.50 to them if like you other chemists will only charge a one month fee and allow me to take a 6 months lot in one go.

Fees need to be shown separately on receipts.

odyssey06 likes this.
  4. Leo

Leo Moderator

Were they hoping you'd take the Lloyds' weekly approach so they could charge even more fees?

SBarrett likes this.
  5. huskerdu

huskerdu Frequent Poster

I would not use a pharmacy that charges two presciption charges for 2 months, but leaving your prescription with them is irrelevant to this.

I leave my prescription on file and its always there when I want to get my prescription. I can ask for as many months as I like and only get charged one fee.

Also, I have never seen the fee listed on the receipt. Its a great idea, but I have never seen any pharmacy do it.
    Has anyone come across this ?