Books on Investing in Stocks - Recommendations

galway008

Anyone got any recommendation for a good book to read on investing in stocks, explaining all the terms, and what to watch out for. Thanks in advance.

the Financial Times do some good introductory guides to investing & company vlauation (FT press I think).

An excellent valuations guide is the Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham (the value investor's bible). Also have a look at Security Analysis by the same author. Although both these texts are now quite old much of the analysis they propose is still applicable.

If you're planning to invest heavily in stocks then you may want to do some training course to ground you in the basics....I'm not sure a book will give you the depth of understanding that you may need. I studied Financial Strategy (B821) with the Open Universityas part of an MBA. Tough, course but rewarding. What I learnt from that course could be summarised as follows: diversify, diversify, diversify. However, if you still want to invest in indivdual stocks I would advise you to really understand the workings of that company, understand its accounts, its people, its strategy and its ability to innovate. A lot of hard work....yes. That's why its best to track a market and by doing so you diversify, diversify, diversify !!

You could try: 'How to Make Money in Stocks' by William J. O'Neil, or 'One up on Wall St.' and 'Beating the Street' by Peter Lynch or 'Buffettology' by Mary Buffett, but before you read any read 'The Intelligent Investor' (revised edition) by Benjamin Graham

asset allocation by roger gibson is a bit technical but explains very effectively the science behind diversification.

Back