Books on Investing in Ireland

Jordan Belfort

Time for Christmas present purchase! Can anyone recommend a good beginners guide to investing that is Ireland specific. It would need to cover the basics on shares, bonds, property, ETFs, investment funds etc and some investment strategies and tax implications

this is something I have been pondering recently, the area of dividend investing seems a logical low risk way of investing but with the tax rate around dividends it does not look attractive.

apart from increasing pension contributions is there other tax efficient forms of investing in this country?

I very much liked John Kay's "The Long and the Short of It ". It's not Ireland-specific of course, I've never come across a book that is. It's a very small market.

The consensus on AAM is that any equity investment outside of a pension is a bad idea in Ireland due to the very heavy tax treatment of returns.

is there a logic behind the poor tax advantages or does the government just want to drive people towards funds who perform poorly and charge high rates no matter what.

is there a logic behind the poor tax advantages or does the government just want to drive people towards funds who perform poorly and charge high rates no matter what.

I don't really know.

Historically, Ireland hasn't had a big pool of listed companies who need to tap into a big domestic investor base. So I suspect governments haven't really facilitated retail equity investors though the tax system.

You might link me to the poll which indicated that?

Hi Brendan

This is more of a mental note of what the majority of informed posters have said on the topic.

"consensus" is probably a poor choice of words, there is of course plenty of very informative disagreement on the topic:)

After clearing all borrowings and maxing the tax efficient contributions to pensions, people should look at direct investment in shares.

Direct investment gives access to the funds, whereas many people do not want to lock all their money away in a pension.

If someone is putting aside an educational fund or other fund which they want access to instead of contributing to their pension, then direct investment in shares is worth considering.

Brendan

Back