Books for Liberia

P

piggy

Heard on the radio this morning that if you bring down any school books (doesn't matter how old) to your local EBS branch as of from next monday (October 18th) the Irish army will collect them and bring them over to the children of Liberia who are desperately in need of books.

Is this a secret Government plan to boost the number of Irish speakers or something?

EBS

Shouldn't the EBS be concentrating on providing better value to mortgage holders, rather than this sort of a gimmick ?

Will these jokers ever demutualise, and allow themselves to be run efficiently ?

Re: EBS

I don't really see it as a gimmick. Why is it a gimmick? Or maybe you don't believe that companies should organise any sort of charity work?

Quite

It’s not the role of businesses, and certainly not the role of a mortgage vendor, to spend owners’ funds on charity events, unless the benefits of free publicity outweigh it. I’d be wary of the altruistic motives of any major player in the financial services sector.

Re: Quite

I’d be wary of the altruistic motives of any major player in the financial services sector

I'm not sure what this is costing EBS. Probably bugger all. They collect and hold the books. The army collects them.

Business has a role to give back to its own community and also to charity, if it can. Whether this scheme is altruistic or not is pure conjecture, and personally speaking I couldn't give a damn if it isn't. The end result is a god one.

God awful

Business has a role to give back to its own community

Which it does through taxes, and direct as well as indirect employment. If staff want to do something more, let them do it in their own time.

The end result is a god (sic) one.

If it costs the business resource in terms of staff and money, then its certainly not a good thing for us owners of the business, whatever the motives.

God awful

> then its certainly not a good thing for us owners of the business

As a member you always have the option of raising this or proposing a "no charitable work" motion at the AGM or even calling an EGM if you feel strongly enough about it.

It may not be the motive but isn't it a way to get potential customers in the door.

If businesses should feel exempt from involvement in any kind of charitable or community work because they pay taxes does that mean all PAYE workers etc. should be to? If so what happens to charity and community work that needs to be done - who's left to do it?

employees

"If it costs the business resource in terms of staff and money, then its certainly not a good thing for us owners of the business, whatever the motives."

But it can really bring staff together, enhance teamwork, make them more committed to the company and actually increase productivity. I recently worked in a company that had a fitness bug going on. People were doing sports at lunchtime, salsa after work IN the workplace, and pledging to increase their levels of exercise. It really got everyone going, and got everybody talking to each other from MD to cleaners. It made for a much happier workplace. Cost? price of equipment and the dance teacher/trainers was minimal compared to the returns.

companies that give

many of the big US multinationals give huge amounts to charity. One company that I came across yesterday called applied Materials gives 1% of pre tax profits to charities. Since they turn over 1.75 billion a year that's quite a few $. These guys don't sell to the public so there's no gain from a sales point of view. They are just good corporate citizens!

Back