Booking trains in France

Christy

Hi

I am trying to book a train from Paris to Bordeaux but without much success. Is there a three month limit on booking ahead? Does anyone know where I get details of timetables and fares as I am not having much luck.

Thanks in advance.

Christy

i think there is either a 3 month or 60 day limit on booking fares. actually it seems to be either 90 or 120 days but no info on which limit applies to which routes, odd.
this site (even though it's german) will allow you to look at timetables all across europe
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?rt=1&

you can also try www.sncf.com or www.sncf.co.uk
there can be very cheap fares on tgv from bordeaux to paris if you go off-peak.

actually irish rail seem to be able to book tickets for you also, not sure if it would be cheaper but see here from their website
2. Point to Point Tickets in Europe and the UK
If you want to travel on a Point to Point ticket from for example Paris to Nice, Rome to Florence, London to Brussels or Amsterdam to Munich, Iarnród Éireann can pre-book your tickets and guarantee an allocated seat on the trains you want to catch.
You can also avail of numerous discounts on many different routes; e.g On TGV services; 50% off for children, 25% off for Young Persons and Senior Travellers and up to 45% off for early bookings. Please ask for more information.
To purchase your ticket, ring our Credit Card Reservations line and let one of our experienced sales agents help you book the journey you require.
Contact European Rail Reservations (01) 703 1885 (outside Ireland 00353 1 703 1885 Monday to Friday only 09.00-17.00) or email [email protected]

Last edited:
French trains very expensive if not booked at least three months in advance, definitely worth checking if you can pre-buy in Ireland.

Back