Booking flights & infant passenger's name

Zutz

We are planning to fly to Italy during the summer and bringing a new baby due in April, however I need to supply the name of the baby when booking. Only problem is we don't have a name yet. Will this cause us any problems in check-in, if we just make up a name now?

Re: Booking Flights & Passenger Name

I though they just had it as "infant - and your surname)

Re: Booking flights & passenger name

In my experience it's at least "Inf[ant]" and the child's initial and surname as per his/her passport.

Re: Booking flights & passenger name

No problem, you just book the 2 adults as normal and when you get to the airport you can pay the 10% levied by Aer Lingus (if you are flying with them of course) for the infant, the infant can't occupy a seat (unless you wan't to pay a full adult fare) so it doesn't matter.

I should clarify - With Aer Lingus the infant fare is 10% of the adult fare

Last edited by a moderator:
You do realise that you will need a passport for the infant as far as I know? See here. Since Italy is a [broken link removed] signatory and we are not full participants as far as I know you will all need passports. I know from experience that they certainly check Irish passports on entry to Italy via air.

You absolutely must have to have a Passport - No question

exact same thing happened to us, we phoned ryanair to ask and they said to book for everyone else but not infant. and just book infant by phone after birth and supply name then. they took the additional 10 euro (?) from c.c. separately.

Choose a gender-neutral name! Problem solved.

I know both males and females with each of the following names:
Pat
Bernie
Fran
Enda
Kim
Lee
Sam
Val
Des

I'm sure there are more.
If the kid hates it (like the guy I know whose name is Valentine but goes by Val), they can always change it by deed poll later...

Back