Booking a "non-package" sun holiday

We always went on package holidays until 2000, when the package we wanted to book was not available. We ended up booking privately owned accommodation by default very close to where we had stayed the previous year (i.e in the same resort) and we were blown away by the quality of accomodation we got. It was a bit more hassle, but not any more expensive.

I would recommend doing it yourself and trawling several websites and enquiring about both price and availability. If you can find cheap flights midweek, try writing to several private propoerty owners and see what they offer. Of course, it helps if you know where you're going, as we did in 2000.

In addition to ownersdirect.co.uk there are lots of other websites where you can book directly from private owners, including holidayhomesdirect.ie.

If you have a particular area in mind, you should also go on tripadvisor.com and check out the local forum.

Regards
Homer

Yep im out of the package holiday club too after getting a week in the sun for €280 versus over €600 package.

So ryanair + travelrepublic = money saved

We never book through agents anymore.
We have saved at least 30% and as much 60% on hols booked ourslves vs travel agents.
For a couple of them I even went into the travel agent, got a price, checked it at home that night and they were making €350 on one and €500 on the other. Based on the exact same flights and exact same accommodation.

I wouldn't abandon your local friendly travel agent, remember he is the guy at the end of the line and at the start of all incoming flak. The travel agents "take" is small compared to the likes of Budget, Falcon etc. And this advice is coming from somebody (moi) who rents out his holiday apartment occasionally.

My advice is to shop around vigorously, ask questions, take stock, liaise with your wife/husband and family. I see people getting "screwed" financially come holiday bookings and from private apartment owners also.

There is another caper about i.e "we want a villa with private swimming pool brigade" - sounds great and upwardly mobile but how far is the villa from the nearest safe beach (I dont mean the beach at the bottom of a cliff with shifting sands). Keep asking questions regarding:- Walking distance to nearest beach, Walking distance from restaurants, shops, etc. One other thing, remember a 10 minute drive to the nearest safe beach could mean a further 45 mins looking for parking.

One other piece of advice to add is to try fly mid-week to mid-week if you can. We booked our own flights and hotels in the past couple of years and have often found that flights to places like Palma or Malaga will be cheaper if flying on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

Yes they're definitely cheaper, but the trouble is that many of the apartment you may want to book operate on a Saturday to Saturday basis, particularly in high Summer.

Yes they're definitely cheaper, but the trouble is that many of the apartment you may want to book operate on a Saturday to Saturday basis, particularly in high Summer.

Even in early April. Trying to book with some French owners who insist on Saturday to Saturday. These apartments will be empty and they will end up with "nil". Certainly the British owners are far more flexible...half a loaf...etc.

It still may be cheaper to book two weeks sat to sat for the accommodation and take a tues to thurs week flight than book a package.

My last packaged holiday with the kids was about 6 years ago and I swore never again. A few weeks after getting home all the kids came down with scabies and the doctor told me it was due to unclean beds in the holiday complex we stayed in. It took weeks and weeks to wash every bit of bedding and clothes in the house and eventually we got rid of the mites. Needless to say I got no joy out of the particular travel agency I dealt with at the time although I think they long gone now.

Nowadays I always book direct but not before I read every one of the hotel reviews. It is far far cheaper and much more enjoyable to do it yourself.

Back