Booked flights to Oz but need to cancel

texet

I booked 2 flights for Oz which I now need to cancel, the date is for two months from now. I wasnt advised of a no cancellation policy and Im not allowed a name change. I know I probably should have asked the terms and conditions but didnt think at the time.

Have I any options at all? Travel agent is telling me no.

Its just such a massive amount of money to lose.

Reason for cancelling ? There is sometimes leeway for a medical condition

My boyfriend cant do the journey, fear of flying which at the time of booking was ok but the closer it has got he says he just cant. Dont think they allow for that. :(

Who did you book with? It is strange you are not allowed even a name change even ryanair allow that albeit for a hefty fee.

If your boyfriend has a fear of flying, could you encourage him to go and talk with the doctor he might be able to give him something to relax him on the flight. It is understandable many people have this phobia and airlines should have come across such cases many times.

Am I allowed name them? I very surprised at the name change too , there's no leeway at all with them , Id understand if it was a week or two beforehand but it's over two months

I was told airlines never allow name changes which to be honest I found strange as I know they do at a cost

Travel agent is yanking your chain.

They will allow a name change but for a price.

Travel agent is yanking your chain.

They will allow a name change but for a price.

Wish I could just cancel , trying to find a buyer would be hard too, thanks for your replies , I'll keep on to them about a name change

Wish I could just cancel , trying to find a buyer would be hard too, thanks for your replies , I'll keep on to them about a name change

Do you have travel insurance? If so, perhaps you could cancel on medical grounds?

Do you have travel insurance? If so, perhaps you could cancel on medical grounds?

No didnt have that sorted yet, also cant see them covering fear of flying.

I really cant see why they cant refund it , with two months to go Im sure they could resell it and just charge me a cancellation fee.

Guess its a big lesson for the future

Also shouldnt I have been advised at the time of booking that they were non refundable tickets? Not once was it mentioned.

Last edited:
Did you book direct with Etihad? the cancellation policy and charges are clearly noted before you confirm the booking.

Have you done any research on courses treating fear of flying to help with this? Could be done before the flight.

I don't know any flights that are actually refundable so I don't know why you thought you could cancel.

Has your boyfriend ever flown?

Even our "national airline" Aer Lingus issues tickets that are nonrefundable regardless of how long before they were booked. (I wonder how many people really read the rules and regulations when booking Aer Lingus on the internet and ticking the box that says they have read those rules)).

Aer Lingus do allow various changes -at high fees , bit cancelling - no refund on what they call "low" price tickets.

Taxes ,however, must be refunded -though some airlines/agents charge a fee even for this.

The one possible escape route on this is for the OP to ask for proof that she was told the fares were nonrefundable - e.g. a signed booking form.

If no such proof is forthcoming then OP can play hardball and say that she not told of the cancellation policy and that she will take this to court/small claims etc. It's almost free to take such a claim ,it takes many months and OP may not win, especially if the agent swears that they tell all clients that the fare is non-refundable.

I'm not aware of any insurance that would cover this.

Well said Old Nick. Where have ya been?

But, obviously Etihad has a change of name policy, you were given wrong info here by the Travel Agent. Therefore, if I were you this is the road I would go down.

I'm with the airlines on their no-refund policies. Remember a few years ago when Ryanair were offering free and 0.01c flights, many were booking two and three flights per day to and from the same destination on the same day. It was awful standing in a Ryanair queue listening to the tannoy advising if Mr so-and-so who was checked in did not join the flight he would be banned from Ryanair for the rest of the day. No doubt so-and-so travelled on an earlier flight. The Ryanair policy contributed into busy flights being nearly empty because of this. Frequent travellers found it difficult to source seats also.

Back