Bonus while on Maternity leave

M

mum2kids

Does anyone know what the legal rights are to bonus payments in the year of maternity leave. I have had my current review and HR have changed the policy on bonuses now they are pro rated for those who have been on maternity leave. Given that legally I was not entitled to work during this period why should my bonus be affected?

It is supposed to be, but there is no direct link to the scale. It is discrentionary but has been paid every year. My bonus is 20% of my salary is very material.

Given that legally I was not entitled to work during this period why should my bonus be affected?
Presumably because you didn't bring any value to the company during the period of your absence?

Hi mum2kids,

Is this a team bonus or is it an individual bonus? Is it a performance related bonus or based on some kind of quantifiable output or is it a subjective bonus?

I'm going to do some research on this but I think that there are some circumstances whereby the company is obliged to pay bonuses to employees who are out on maternity leave.

ajapale

Could I respectfully request anyone who wants to post on the rights and wrongs or the ethical considerations of maternity leave to start their own thread in LOS and leave this thread to a simple answer to the question posted? Thanks aj

Hi ajapale,

Mu bonus is based on individual performance and is subjective. There is a scoring system at the annual review and my rating for 2004 was higher than previous year. Objectives are set annually, however there is no actual link to the bonsues. It is the intention of the company to eventually have a transparent system however that does not exist at the moment. I was also on maternity leave in 2001 and my bonus was not affected, it actually went up considerably as I had been promoted just before I went on maternity leave. Just to add my contract of employment states that bonues are discretinoary but may no reference to them being prorated for maternity leave. I am aware of an instution where the terms of employment do state that the bonus will be prorated for maternity leave.

Back