BOI suspicious activity

That all depends on whether they're trying to fool the user into disabling controls or they're going after a vulnerability that can bypass without user intervention. That's getting harder all the time, but I don't foresee a day when all OSs and browsers will be vulnerability free.
Yes, don't think we'll every be vulnerability free, not without some dramatic differences in how we produce the code for these devices, such as a move to the more Formal Methods approach used for airline or medical systems. And of course that would have dramatic impacts for how these devices function and on the costs of software development.

Don't hold your breath.

Yes, don't think we'll every be vulnerability free, not without some dramatic differences in how we produce the code for these devices, such as a move to the more Formal Methods approach used for airline or medical systems. And of course that would have dramatic impacts for how these devices function and on the costs of software development.

Don't hold your breath.
I always remember being surprised when in my first job out of college reading electronic component specification sheets and seeing the large bold writing specifying they were not warranted for use in medical devices. Of course it all makes sense when you consider the additional quality control goes into manufacturing devices to higher quality.

But hey, I make a living out managing security controls, so if they ever eliminate all vulnerabilities I might be looking for a new job.

But hey, I make a living out managing security controls, so if they ever eliminate all vulnerabilities I might be looking for a new job.
Don't worry my even bin company has a secure login system that often leaves me baffled. Just in case some hacker might login and pay my waste bill.

Messrs Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt will be selling security systems for a long time.

• Haha
Reactions: Leo
Don't worry my even bin company has a secure login system that often leaves me baffled. Just in case some hacker might login and pay my waste bill.

Messrs Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt will be selling security systems for a long time.
I guess the bin company has the legal obligation to protect whatever personal data about you that they hold, even if that is just name/address/email and bin usage.

Some of the 'secure' systems haven't been particularly well designed from a user interface point of view, so there is certainly room for improvement.

If anything, security systems have been undersold, across both public and private sectors. Certainly security services and security resources are far too scare, and need to be taken more seriously. The BOI judgement might be getting some attention in board rooms over the coming months.

Back