BoI Change Definition of "interest free period" for Credit Cards

BoI have [broken link removed] on what makes up an interest free period for credit cards.

In a nutshell, more transaction types are excluded from an interest free period.

Interest
(b) Interest Free Periods.
(i) Cash advances: There is no interest free period for cash advances or cash
advance fees and we will charge interest from the date the cash advance
transaction is posted to the Account, unless your Account is in credit to fully meet
the cash advance and the cash advance fee.
(ii) Cross Border Handling Fees: There is no interest free period for cross border
handling fees and we will charge interest from the date the transaction is posted
to the Account.
(iii) Purchases: If you repay us everything you owe us on the Account as shown
on a monthly statement by the payment date we specify in the monthly
statement, we will not charge you interest on any purchases shown in that
monthly statement. Otherwise, you forfeit the interest free period and we will
charge interest, on each purchase, from the date of the transaction.
We charge such interest at the rate we show you on your latest monthly
statements. This rate may differ from the rate in force on the date of the cash
advance or purchase

Cross Border Handling Fees: There is no interest free period for cross border
handling fees and we will charge interest from the date the transaction is posted
to the Account.

Thanks for the update

So on this one, if you buy something on tinternet from UK then interest will kick in straight away? As in even before you get the credit card bill.

Time to search out credit card best buys thread!

Last edited:
(i) Cash advances: There is no interest free period for cash advances or cash
advance fees and we will charge interest from the date the cash advance
transaction is posted to the Account, unless your Account is in credit to fully meet
the cash advance and the cash advance fee.

If I read that correctly - they now charge you a cash advance fee even if your card is in credit? (Charging you for taking out your own money???) That's a nasty change if that's the case.

So if you take out €1,000 on your Bank of Ireland credit card, you will be charged €15 ( 1.5% subject to a minimum of €2.54 per transaction) whether you are in credit or not.

If you are not in credit, you will be charged 26% APR - say 2% a month.

(ii) Cross Border Handling Fees: There is no interest free period for cross border
to the Account.

This is an extra fee of 1.75% for every payment and cash withdrawal in a currency other than euro.

So if I spend the equivalent of €1,000 in sterling or dollars, I will be charged €17.50. And I will be charged interest on the €17.50.

A lot of people who pride themselves on paying no interest on their credit card, will now find that they are being charged interest. The amounts will be small but very irritating. €17.50 @ 26% for one month would be about 40 cents.

Thanks for the update

So on this one, if you buy something on tinternet from UK then interest will kick in straight away? As in even before you get the credit card bill.

Time to search out credit card best buys thread!

I saw this as well and thought it strange.

I will try and clarify from Bank of Ireland later and will put up their response.

Last edited:
At first, I thought that this would only affect people spending money in the UK or America on their credit card. But it's much wider than this.

If you buy something online in dollars or sterling, you will be hit with a cross border handling fee of 1.75%. So if a Bank of Ireland customer buys a book in dollars for the equivalent of €20, they will be charged a cross border handling fee of 35 cents.

Now BoI will be charging interest on the 35 cents. It will only work out at around 1 cent a month, but people will be furious when they see these charges.

I got an update from Bank of Ireland's Press Office

Here is clarification:

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]For an oversees purchase that incurs a cross border handling fee, the fee will be incorporated into the purchase transaction and treated with the 'up to 56 days grace' as is the case today. Therefore no change here.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]If a customer takes out cash oversees and a cross border fee is charged (outside eurozone), this is incorporated into the cash advance transaction and falls into the new cash change, effective 18th March. Cash interest will be charged from the posting date of this transaction.[/FONT]

They will need to revise their notice.

Brendan

The press issue has "oversees" instead of "overseas". Another indication in the decline of the standard of English.

If the interest for overseas (non Euro?) cash advances kicks in immediatly, how can you ensure that you pay the full bill?

E.g. I withdraw £200 on 17 March, so interest starts being calculated from that date. I receive bill on 30 March, with some interest added. If I pay the full sum on the bill by 15 April, will I have cleared everything? Or will the additional interest from 30 March to 15 April appear on my next bill?

I got an update from Bank of Ireland's Press Office

They will need to revise their notice.

Brendan

That update from the press office is completely different from their updated terms and conditions that I received today with regards the cross border handling fees being subject to interest from date of purchase. Is there any other credit card that doesn't charge interest if you pay the bill on time?

If the interest for overseas (non Euro?) cash advances kicks in immediatly, how can you ensure that you pay the full bill?

E.g. I withdraw £200 on 17 March, so interest starts being calculated from that date. I receive bill on 30 March, with some interest added. If I pay the full sum on the bill by 15 April, will I have cleared everything? Or will the additional interest from 30 March to 15 April appear on my next bill?

You will be charged interest from the date you draw the money to the date you clear it. So you will be charged interest from 30 March to 15 April.

You could overpay your bill slightly which should clear the interest.

That update from the press office is completely different from their updated terms and conditions that I received today with regards the cross border handling fees being subject to interest from date of purchase.

Could you scan them and email them to me at brendan @ this site.

AIB charges a cash advance fee, but no interest if it's cleared on time.

However, to avail of an interest free period generally with AIB, you must clear your balance in full two months in a row.

Brendan

Could you scan them and email them to me at brendan @ this site.

AIB charges a cash advance fee, but no interest if it's cleared on time.

However, to avail of an interest free period generally with AIB, you must clear your balance in full two months in a row.

Brendan

I have sent you a copy of the new terms that I received with my credit card bill this morning.

Enjoy.

Thanks Selfbuilder

That is the same as the notice they put on their website. Either it or their press office is incorrect.

Very sloppy by them.

But as they don't separate out the purchase price from the cross-border handling fee, I presume that the notice is incorrect, and that the press office is wrong.

Brendan

Back