Boards.ie

. Ultimately it's Brendan's site and, other than user contributions in recent years, he has paid all of the bills with only assistance in kind (e.g. technical, editorial, moderation/administrative etc.) from others.
Spot the novice (me :) ) whos brendan?

I mean have a paid up subscription. I find that 13 euro for a 3 month subscription is a minuscule amount to pay for such a good service and hopefully the more who appreciate that the better it will become.

Its an ok site but good service? It has to be the most unreliable forum on the web, its down so much. I would also agree with that the moderation is often very poor and immature. But then its average age profile is obviously a lot lower than this site because of the subject matter. Which is reflected in the flaming and baiting that goes on. These days I hardly use it. Mainly because its down so often. [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

It has to be the most unreliable forum on the web, its down so much.

What a sweeping statement. :rolleyes:

It has 8 or 9 forums which I frequent frequently, I find those excellent resources of information. As for it's downtime, it's not something I ponder. If I can't connect I come back later, I understand technology has it's limitations.

Label it what you will. Its become over the years, by far the most unreliable of many forums I've use and used, on regular basis over many years. Its a common complaint about the boards and adverts too. Its not a limitation of technology. Thats a very weak excuse. I expect it partially budget, and too few moderators to prune the bloat. No point having huge forums and massive membership if the forum is down half the time. Pity because its an entertaining site at times.

I'm a user of both fora and in fact a subscriber of boards.ie. This thread seems to give the impression that boards.ie is down more often than it is up which is somewhat incorrect. While it does go down (BTW it is back up now 9.45 AM ish) perhaps it is down once a month rather than once a week or once a day as "down quite a lot" would seem to suggest.

Consistent I might say with a little hiccup this month. Funny it always seems to happen in the later part of the month!

AAM is and always has been totally free and does not offer subscriptions. Contributions towards runnings costs are totally at the discretion of individual users. Ultimately it's Brendan's site and, other than user contributions in recent years, he has paid all of the bills with only assistance in kind (e.g. technical, editorial, moderation/administrative etc.) from others.

I'm curious as to how these forum based entities (such as boards.ie, or amm etc.) are operated. Is a company set up to administer them? or is there some other structure? They appear to be non-profit making, but presumably they certainly have a value.

afaik boards.ie is a limited company, i dont know about aam. a user posted here earlier that people on boards.ie are more interested in post counts and i'd have to agree, i come to this site to get information and help if i can, some people on boards see themselves as some sort of internet celebrities...

Its an ok site but good service? It has to be the most unreliable forum on the web, its down so much. I would also agree with that the moderation is often very poor and immature. But then its average age profile is obviously a lot lower than this site because of the subject matter. Which is reflected in the flaming and baiting that goes on. These days I hardly use it. Mainly because its down so often.

I agree 100% The immature attitude is what prevents decent responses to threads.
If anyone wants to argue the immature content I suggest the look at some posts in feedback

What a sweeping statement. :rolleyes:

It has 8 or 9 forums which I frequent frequently, I find those excellent resources of information. As for it's downtime, it's not something I ponder. If I can't connect I come back later, I understand technology has it's limitations.

What are the limitations you are refering to??
It certinly is not vBulletin.
In the grand scheme of things boards is a very small site.
Here is an example of a large forum with no operational problems

Back