Boards.ie

Boards has random meltdowns everynow again...generally between 6-10pm when loads of people log on! It generally takes less than an hour to get goin again. Just out of curiousity i only found out about this site and boards about 6 months ago...but much prefer this site as there seems to be less waffling and its alot less "clicky" if theres such a thing with anonymous poster! I think this site is fantastic and have learned sooo much about random stuff im generally too afraid to ask about as the mods on boards seem to dismiss people v quickly. AAM or boards...what dya think? Both great but errin towards aam:p

Its still down
much prefer this site as there seems to be less waffling and its alot less "clicky" if theres such a thing with anonymous poster! I think this site is fantastic and have learned sooo much about random stuff im generally too afraid to ask about as the mods on boards seem to dismiss people v quickly. AAM or boards...what dya think? Both great but errin towards aam:p

I couldn't agree more. Boards.ie was once the ultimite sorce of information in Ireland. But the downtime lately is unacceptable. Whatever the probles are they seem no nearer to sorting them. They recently moved to digiweb hosting but things are still the same.
A lot of the database is also gone look for the oldest thread in a forum & you will see there is a few years worth of posts gone!. A lot of features have also disappeared ,like new posts etc..
This along with some of the mods dismissive approach (especially to new people, post counts seem to be some kind of status symbol) is really losing them credability.
They have also seemed to have lost interest in keeping up with the latest vBulletin software. AAM is running 3-6-0 Boards is still on 3-5, well over a year since this major release.

Its the version of software that runs forums like this & boards etc...
vBulletin (the designers) update this software regularly with extra functions & more importantly security patches.
If you look at the bottom of this page you will see
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Version 3-6 is the latest version
Boards.ie is still running version 3-5 there has been 8 or more updates since then?

I wonder how many of the people who criticise boards are subscribers.

I wonder how many of the people who criticise boards are subscribers.

When u say "subscribers" are u meaning...people who pay or just log on? I think both are fab sites..but realised im waaay behind others who discovered these sites years ago! I appreciate the mods etc who put major effort into keeping the threads on topic etc but the few months experience ive had of both i tend to log on here more..as i found that my opinion seemed to get dismissed/ridiculed/moved if they felt it wasnt appropriate and there was an awful lot of "in jokes" between long termers!

When u say "subscribers" are u meaning...people who pay or just log on?

I mean have a paid up subscription. I find that 13 euro for a 3 month subscription is a minuscule amount to pay for such a good service and hopefully the more who appreciate that the better it will become.

I always assumed that boards.ie was totally free. I never noticed anything about subscriptions the odd time that I used it. I am a registered user albeit very sporadic poster.

I mean have a paid up subscription. I find that 13 euro for a 3 month subscription is a minuscule amount to pay for such a good service and hopefully the more who appreciate that the better it will become.
What do u get for 13 euro? Ive found this site invaluable ..for free!!

I always assumed that boards.ie was totally free. I never noticed anything about subscriptions the odd time that I used it. I am a registered user albeit very sporadic poster.

It is totally free, however there is some extra functionality available as a subscriber, nothing mind you that would persuade you to become a subscriber. I subscribed as I feel the service is worth paying for, after all I'm sure the man hours involved in keeping the technology alive is more than the average hobby expenses.

What do u get for 13 euro? Ive found this site invaluable ..for free!!

A few bits and bobs, nothing that obvious from when your not a subscriber.

There is a link on the main page which is easy to find once it's back on line, look for the 'subscribers' icon.

As I said for me it's more about adding to the keep of the site more than getting anything extra from the site.

Is aam not the same? In fairness im not goin to pay for a few extra "bits and bobs" when ive gotten fantastic advice for free over the last few months! I have wondered who actually pays for the upkeep of the site! Clubman..u seem to be the main man! Why do it?It seem sooo much effort for so little thanks? Is this ur job?

I wouldn't consider paying for the following reasons...
The ammount of basic functions that are missing is ridiculious .. And even when you subscribe these are still not available from what you say.
The downtime is unacceptable (still down BTW)
The uncalled for abuse from some mods is unacceptable...
I find this site much more valualble & the advice is more professional & controlled. You dont get any flaming here as you do on boards.
The services & information that is on this site is worth paying for.

Wonder no more...

AAM is not my job - just a hobby. I have a real job.
Ok..fair play Clubman..its alot of work though aswell as maintaing a fulltime job! Why would someone pay for subscription? I think this site is fab already!

Why would someone pay for subscription?
AAM is and always has been totally free and does not offer subscriptions. Contributions towards runnings costs are totally at the discretion of individual users. Ultimately it's Brendan's site and, other than user contributions in recent years, he has paid all of the bills with only assistance in kind (e.g. technical, editorial, moderation/administrative etc.) from others.

Back