Boards.ie now discussing specific shares

tmurphy1

Hi,
Could anytbody propose some websites that offer good advice on stock investments ie good stocks to buy or sell.
Thanks for the help

Re: Stock tracking and advice

[FONT=&quot]Advice? Here are some quotes about advice.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't. ~Erica Jong, How to Save Your Own Life, 1977

When a man comes to me for advice, I find out the kind of advice he wants, and I give it to him. ~Henry Wheeler Shaw, a.k.a. Josh Billings

The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

It is a good divine that follows his own instructions. ~William Shakespeare

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero
[/FONT]

Do you really think you are going to make money by finding a helpful person that will provide such information. If you want to even think of investing then do some basic homework. Read "The Intelligent Investor". Then and only then use your own loaf to decide whats best.

Motleyfool.com is a nice website and most of the stock experts exchange their views on this website.

Boards.ie have an irish investment discussion forum

Fool.co.uk is a good uk forum

Just a reminder to everyone, all advice and tips from any investment forum that discusses individual shares and stocks is to be taken with a pinch of salt. Always do your own research!

I see that forum has been going since May 2007! I am surprised that it has not been mentioned here before. Maybe it has, but I have just not noticed it.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

Yeah its been going for a while now, but has only become popular in the last couple of years. Some useful information on it.

Supergirl, loved your post, you've given the best advice there is to be honest.

Justforgroup, I disagree with your piece of advice completely.

Tmurphy, Supergirl has said it already so there is no real point in repeating it but go off your own bat and depend on yourself and only yourself. Get yourself a cheap broker (Firstrade, Scotrade, TDW). Read Ben Graham's book (mentioned above) and pick up William O'Neills "How to Make Money in Stocks" for a more short term approach to trading (antithesis to Ben Grahams approach but good to understand both and develop your own strategy), join IBD if you want instant access to what is top of the NASDAQ list (which I might add, stocks of which will priced accordingly).

Dont listen to message boards like these and immediately ignore people with high flying tips unless of course your research indicates they were right!

I wouldn't agree that this is a good enough reason to ignore trading in individual stocks. Avoid the high cost brokers and open an account with a US Discount Broker. Focus on the US Market rather than the Irish market as it is more open and there's definitely more information available on a wider number and range of companies.

I pay $9.99 per trade regardless of size and there are no maintenance charges, stamp duty etc.

Good Luck.

My advice: don't trade individual stocks.
The costs alone will wipe you out.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=128749

Just a reminder to everyone, all advice and tips from any investment forum that discusses individual shares and stocks is to be taken with a pinch of salt. Always do your own research!
I dont know if this has been asked before but I always see it in response to questions but where do people do their research. I read/get emails from the following, its not an exhaustive list but to be honest I could do a nights research and can be none the wiser due to the many different opinions offered

Bloomberg
FT
Sunday Times
Sunday Business Post
moneyandmarkets.com
fool.co.uk
themotleyfool
broker reports on RTE.ie
spreadtrader.ie offers good opinions
google finance for chart analysis
wsj.com
tradingmarket.com
marketwatch.com

would love to know if there is an easier way to get an idea of what lies ahead

I dont know if this has been asked before but I always see it in response to questions but where do people do their research. I read/get emails from the following, its not an exhaustive list but to be honest I could do a nights research and can be none the wiser due to the many different opinions offered

Bloomberg
FT
Sunday Times
Sunday Business Post
moneyandmarkets.com
fool.co.uk
themotleyfool
broker reports on RTE.ie
spreadtrader.ie offers good opinions
google finance for chart analysis
wsj.com
tradingmarket.com