Boards for raised vegetable beds

webbs

Am looking to make raised veg beds, does anyone know of where I can get planks to make these beds, Am not neccesarily after anyhting fancy (such as sleepers) cheaper or second hand boards would be better, someone mentioned something like scaffolding boards would be good. Anyone have any experience with getting this sort of stuff, I am based in Galway so would need somewhere that can be delivered

Any local hardware or builders suppliers should help.
Alternatively if you are near a timber yard, they should all deliver

i have just used 16foot untreated joist wood... about 2 inches x 6-8 inches.

place directly on ground and nail in simple corner brackets. they are heavy enough that they won't move.

I used leftover decking. If you know anyone who built a deck recently it's probably worth checking if they have a length or two left over. Has the advantage that it's pressure treated

please ensure what you are using ois UNTREATED or preservatives will soak into your veggies!!!

The wood isn't going to rot that quickly and if it does it's simple to replace a plank here and there......

I would guess that decking is treated.

I have used 9" x 2" plus 3" x 2" on top to make a total depth of 12" pressure treated timber. As per your post, PGD1, I have since found out that pressure treated timber should not be used for growing vegetables but |I've made them now!!

What I have done though is lined the inside with polythene to prevent moisture loss but this will have the added benefit of creating a barrier from the pressure treated timber.

You might explain why PT Timbers are not suitable for use as edging boards in veg plots?

I've never seen or heard any problems with PT timbers leeching/weeping. There is a risk with preservatives painted onmto to timbers, but thats completely different.

IMO PT timbers are ideal, and untreated timbers will simply rot within a relatively short period especially the grades mentioned earlier.

Here's the thing! I have a reasonable amount of work done already in my veggie patch and last year, worked in a lorryload of mushroom compost so the soil is deep and workable. Now I've decided to try these raised beds - so do I build them on site with the stakes into the soil? Other half reckons 16ft is too long to be movable. Also, I bought 9" planks, but this will be only the same depth as i can easily dig already - do I dig a trench around..... HELP!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

I'm building raised beds that'll be 8ft long x 4ft wide and 1ft deep.

As it's in a small garden, I'm tempted to use some decorative wood.

Does anyone know any timber suppliers in the Dublin/Meath that have a good range of large cut timber (6" x 10").

Thanks

Back