Board Gais Huge Electricity Bill

Danielle24

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum.

Basically we changed to Bord Gais the start of March/End of February.

We got our last bill from ESB which was up until the 23rd March which was fine. Then I arrived in yesterday to find a bill from Bord Gais for €326 for a 20 day billing period. I just think this is extremely high and I am wondering if someone has tapped into my esb as the girl next door whos box is directly beside mine has got a 2 month bill for €700 or perhaps the ESB/Bord Gais have made a mistake. Any ideas?

Did they take a meter reading or is it an estimated bill? Can you take a meter reading and calculate the correct bill?

If you are paying by direct debit, any discrepancy in the meter readings may take some to balance themselves out.

Last edited:
The reading on the meter was higher than the bill but there's no way I used that amount of esb. I'm gone at least 45 hours a week Monday to Friday for work, my housemate hasn't been around in 2/3 weeks. We're both never really there at the weekends, it just doesn't add up.

Was your last bill from ESB an estimate or a reading. Could be what you owe up to the actual switch over BG paid ESB this on your behalf and you we it to them now?

We got a bill in March from ESB up until the 23rd, this was estimated. We got a bill from Bord Gais yesterday from the 24th onwards, but it's still ridiculous.

That's sounds outrageous!! I'm with Bord Gais for my electricity... my current bill is €68!!! previous one was €79. Normal electricity usage (no heat tho that is gas) 3 bed house. Definitely get that checked.

Was it definitely for the electricity and not the gas (bills are identical, electricity one says Bord Gais energy on top)

No we don't have gas and I know the electric heaters are expensive but they get little or no use at the best of times, this weather they don't really get used at all.

We got a bill in March from ESB up until the 23rd, this was estimated. We got a bill from Bord Gais yesterday from the 24th onwards, but it's still ridiculous.

But was it just the last ESB bill or were your previous bills also estimated?

Ring Bord Gáis and explain to them you thinks its wrong, they might be able to explain. They may fob you off to esb which is a downside of the arrangement

Ring Bord Gáis and explain to them you thinks its wrong, they might be able to explain. They may fob you off to esb which is a downside of the arrangement

They may redirect you to ESB as they do not have the previous meter read history before you signed up so they will not be able to tell of previous estimations.

Give ESB a buzz and they can tell you when your last actual read was with them, you could also request a copy of your bills to make sure.

when I switched I had to give them a current reading for the electricity meter did you not do this?

The actual switch can be done on an estimated reading, if the read is lower then when the swith took place then bord gais credit the ESB so it could have been estimated at the time of switching and then the meter was read after that.

Would you of left your Immersion on for any great length of time? also, is it on sink or bath?

I would strongly suspect that your last few ESB bills were estimated and hence you have underpaid for some time.

I would strongly suspect that your last few ESB bills were estimated and hence you have underpaid for some time.

I phoned them they said the December bill was done based on a meter reading, February was and estimate and March was an estimate that's still over 600e for just over 3 months.

Back