BMW disc issue

Seric20

Hi,
Car into garage BMW3 for new brake pads and few other bits. Been told that it needs new discs as well as the ones fitted are too small. If we don't fit them it may shudder if sudden braking but not a safety issue. Anyone any knowledge on this? I presume we should get it done. Just querying as already shelling out a gd bit today. if really needs doing will do.
Thanks

Smaller in what way? Smaller diameter, smaller width? Any deviation from the manufacturer's spec for items like brakes IS a safety issue. You also need to tell your insurance company that the car is modified.

Really? Modified..flip..how and why would that be a modification?. No idea which way smaller.. just current dealer said too small so up to us whether wanted replacing when they doing brake pads.
It was bought 2nd hand from reputable dealer but we now bring it to the local dealer as much closer for everything so it seems this was done before we bought the car when it was 1yr old.
Thanks

I'd be asking what's the disc size / model that on there now and also what disc size/ model they're proposing is appropriate.

If you give them the greenlight this will be an expensive replacement so try to do everything you can to understand the current situation and proposed fix.

Is it possibly the case that they're too small because they're worn down and he is communicating this to you poorly?

Hi,
Yes that is quite possibly the case as the notification came from desk staff reported from the mechanics so I'd imagine the discs are worn as it seems strange wrong size disc. Thanks for your reply, much appreciated as also the previous one.

The discs wear down and get thinner after a lot of use. They can get slightly distorted and this would cause judder and slight movement of the brake pedal up and down during heavy braking. There will be a slight lip at the outer rim of the disc. You can feel this with your finger through the gaps in your alloy road wheel. If the lip is not to great i.e. 1 millimetre or so it is okay. You could wait until you are due an NCT test and see if is passable. Maybe get an option from another mechanic.

Hi,
Yes that is quite possibly the case as the notification came from desk staff reported from the mechanics so I'd imagine the discs are worn as it seems strange wrong size disc. Thanks for your reply, much appreciated as also the previous one.
So a 2019, presumably still on the original brakes, correct?
So the next question should be what’s the mileage on the car?

Really? Modified..flip..how and why would that be a modification?. No idea which way smaller.. just current dealer said too small so up to us whether wanted replacing when they doing brake pads.
If the discs on it do not meet the manufacturer requirements, then your insurance company would likely consider it a modification. Smaller discs usually mean smaller contact area, and so less braking power, which would be a safety issue.

That said, it sounds like there is some confusion as to whether the discs are too small (diameter) or are simply worn (thickness).

Yes that is quite possibly the case as the notification came from desk staff reported from the mechanics so I'd imagine the discs are worn as it seems strange wrong size disc.

That’s the trouble with getting a car serviced in a main dealer. Too many layers that increase costs and hinder communication.

For a car with 80k on the clock, there’s probably no real benefit to having it serviced by a main dealer. A good local mechanic will keep you safely on the road for a lot less money.

Hi all,
Thanks for replies. Unnecessary confusion was correct. The person relaying the info used the term smaller disks meaning worn when I queried it. So the discs were worn as well. I ended up just replacing them as obviously want xar in tip top condition. Thanks for your help. Yes I know when car gets to a certain mileage (import correct) time for local mechanic.
Cheers

Reactions: Leo
If you find a good engineering works, they can skim a fraction off to get all of the grooves out

Back