BMW 320i coupe 2007 engine failures

trevork

I am hoping someone can advise on a problem my partner is having with her BMW, and the poor customer service she is receiving from BMW. SHe purchased it in March 2007 and in January 2008 it stalled in the middle of Drumcondra. An engine warning light came on, which according to the manual is an engine malfunction, which requires you to drive with care to the nearest dealer. The car was brought to Joe Duffy motors, from where it was purchased, they fixed the car but about 3 months later the same thing happened. The car went to the nearest BMW service garage and it was found to have the same engine malfunction, and while it was there she found out that there had been a recall of that model, but she had never received any notification about it. There have been similar breakdowns since then every couple of months, and the car has only 36,000 km. As the car approached the end of its warranty she asked Joe Duffy if they would extend the warranty, but they refused. This week while travelling on the N3, the car warning light came on again and the engine lost power. She pulled in to the side of the road and contacted Joe Duffy. They were less than helpful, reminding her that the car was not now under warranty. The warning light subsequenly went off, and the car started going again, and we got home. The following day at her own expense she sent the car to Joe Duffy. They said they will look at the car but it will cost €150 per hour.
My question is whether she should be liable for any expense, and whether BMW owe her a duty to either replace the car or take it back or something?
It seems that at the moment they are denying any responsibility for selling a car that was not fit for purpose, and are now going to maximise their service income without any guarantee of fixing the fundamental problem.

An engine warning light could be many things - you need to find out exactly was going on in the instances that the car was brought back to Joe Duffy's in the first place, what the issue was and how it was fixed. Without know this its very hard to know how to proceed.

I'd be inclined to get onto BMW Ireland and ask what would be the best way to proceed. Also the faults should be logged somewhere so it would help in sorting out the current problem perhaps...

Hi,

as suggested, contact BMW Ireland and ask them to access the situation. If the car is cutting out/stopping/losing power then suggest that it is a safety issue as it could happen when she is overtaking/turning right. Don't bother with Joe Duffys. If you don't get any joy then a solicitor's letter might concentrate their minds. Also you should document every time it stops.

There is absolutely no way I would pay for this to be resolved.

I heard (2nd hand) of someone having a lengthy battle with a recent 3 series coupe over engine trouble, I don't know the details, but I think they settled for a newer replacement car. (not new)

Just searched a few bit on the net and there seems to be big issues with the 320i. Have a look at this forum. It's a bit drawn out but makes interesting reading!!!!!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136258&page=2

It is UK based but gives alot of info on issues other 320i drivers have had in relation to their cars. I think you should get as much info as possible from this forum and then ring BMW Ireland and see what they say. If they fob you off then mention the details in the above forum. If still no joy then I think, as mentioned above, a solicitors letter will get their attention espicially as this seems to be a big issue with the 320i.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Firstly, there is absolutely no way JD will take back or replace the car. That just does not happen in the real world.

Be sure to document every time the fault happens and what the outcome is. Write to BMW Ireland, for sure, but don't expect anything to be resolved any time soon. BMW Ireland will most likely try to fob you off, but persist.

One other option is to email the editor of the Motors section in the Irish Times. Over the last few months, a number of motorists have written to him with car problems. Although it is not his job to do so, he has contacted the distributor on the person's behalf and they have got some sort of resolution.

It amazes me that people will continue to go back and back to main dealers that are not capable of fixing these own model cars.

FInd a good independant mechanic, not these clown that clealry only know how to charge

A mate was advised to change a turbo on a diesel BMW by BMW.
I sent him to the lads at MKW who seemed to know about a common problem of a sticking valve. One would think BMW would know about common problems with BMW.

Rip off
Rip off
Rip off

Back