BMW 320d or Peugeot 407hdi?

Gulliver1

I am considering buying one of the above cars (both diesel).

If I go for a 320d I would be buying a 2002 car. If I go for the 407 I would be getting a 2005/2006 model.

I have never owned either type of car before and this will be my first diesel as I want fuel economy.

I have read mixed reviews for both.

Should I get a 407 as it would be newer or stick to the reliability of a BMW?

Does anyone have experience with either of these cars?

i have a 2004 320d for last three years, 143k on the clock and still driving as well as the day i got it. i keep it serviced regulary, cost of service is no dearer that any other car ive owned. 45mpg, 500 miles on a full thank. i have nothing but good things to say about the car, apart from service only thing that needed replacing were rear shocks.

early 2004 and earlier cars the turbo going was a common fault, an expensive fix.

i once drove a 407, nice car to drive but interior had worn a lot on the one year old car i drove. next door neighbour has one and raves about it.

+1 for 407 hdi, very comfortable and economical. Have had no issues with it, and has plenty of boot space.

Last edited:
I test drove a 407 diesel estate about 2 years ago. The one thing that sticks in mind is how uncomfortable it was (sorry rebel16). I was on a fairly smooth main road and the vibration through the car could be heard in mine and my wife's voices when we spoke. It was beyond unbearable on some back roads. Very un-French. I know as a diesel and an estate the suspension would be a bit harder for a heavier load but this was ridiculous.

I'd go Beamer every time...

I'm sure you are aware...you're looking to compare 2 cars from different segments - compact executive v's family saloon. Its difficult to answer this...if space is paramount then the 407 would be ok. I used to drive 406's - the 1st model was very comfy, the 2nd version nowhere near as good as the Peugeot engineers said they "improved" the handling, road-holding etc. This is now the same situation with the 407 which I have driven too.

the 320d would be my choice

Back