Bmw 320 “D”?!

Mousey27

hi there

So I was about to purchase a second hand car from a car dealer who was offering 3 month warranty and full service before purchase.
However, the advert was for petrol...but on viewing the car it clearly says on back 320d. D always indicates diesel as far as I know in BMW. So I messaged , is this car diesel or petrol .. response I got was “petrol”, so I queried the badge on car to which he said someone must’ve put that on the car , it’s a petrol engine.
Is this as dodgy as it’s sounding to me right now? Why would someone have gone and put 320d on the car!

Replacement boot lid complete with badge or a replacement badge from a scrap-yard would be my first thoughts. But then I'm an evil suspicion consumer. I can't see Herr BMW making this mistake so yes, dodgy IMO.

What does the dealer mean by a 3-month warranty and full service. The latter item is a given as far as I'd be concerned, so why would he mention it? Check if the "warranty" is a breach of your consumer rights by giving citizen's information a ring. Personally I'd wave Del Boy goodbye and shop elsewhere.

Likely to something like mathepac said, but then if the boot lid was replaced you would query was it involved in an accident.
You would want to get a mechanic to check the car out but I wouldn't rule it out straight away.

So I asked to see log book ... log book says petrol ... so I asked to see picture of chassis also emailed to me ... chassis number on logbook and car match , but on pic of chassis the plate also clear as day says 320d

Any ideas what’s going on?

Would you not just run a mile when all these issues arise, I presume the reason you are not is that it's a great deal? You're obviously finding out the reason for that now with all these worrying issues. There are plenty of other cars available why bother continuing to look at this one?

I agree with Dereko. You may be interested cos it looks cheap. But it may be too good to be true. The little things can also give it away.

Years ago I was interested in a car from a reputable dealer. The price was reasonable. When he produced the car for test drive it was filthy inside and out and wouldn’t start. I walked away immediately.

Run and run quickly before your next discovery which may well be that this vehicle was initially powered by steam.

There's plenty of cars out there - My guess is that you're still hovering around this one as its cheap - But is it cheap for a reason....?

Thanks fir replies. No not hung up on this car more fascinated by what fiddling is going on!! Looking for possible explanations out of curiosity!! It wasn’t particularly good value , it was priced as others. Found another car now thankfully !

Maybe it was a 320D and the diesel engine was replaced with a petrol one? Is that even possible?

Back